Thread: Removing Icons

Default Removing Icons

I put on an icon (a hand) some weeks ago and decided that I did not like the icon.

Thought I had removed the icon program that had this particular icon, but I still get a brief picture of this hand icon just before my usual icons appear on the desktop.

Question: How do I completely remove this unwanted hand icon?

Thanks.

Tonfa

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Go to Start>Search and type in *.ico . If you know the name of the icon eg hand type in hand.ico instead. The * will bring up all the icons on your PC.. which ever way you do it, you should be able to find it, when you do, right click on the .ico and delete. This should do it. Keep us posted.

Tonfa, if you changed an existing icon to "the hand" one, you might try deleting the existing shortcut to the program "the hand" points to, after which you can recreate another shortcut to the original .exe.
    If man weren`t meant to eat animals...
    Why are they made outta MEAT?

Default Removing Icons

Thank you, Canuck and Dimzin!

The underlying icon (hand) has been removed.

Let me ask you both two questions:

1. When I download a program, I sometimes get an icon that tells me it is the icon of the file to click on to execute the downloaded program. What do I do with the other icons that appear that are part of that program, such as the ReadMe file? Am I supposed to make a folder and save all the icons somewhere? If so, what are the steps and where do I put the folder?

2. I noticed when I went to *.ico, that I had a lot of icons that I had downloaded from a program (but later could not find the program). If I want to change an icon on my desktop and use one of the icons in the *.ico file, what are the steps to make this change?

This may not be the right place to ask such questions, but your expertise is appreciated.

Tonfa

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi Tonfa,

In answer to your first question, after downloading and during the installation of a program, you are/should be asked if you want to create a 'desktop shortcut' and sometimes a 'startup icon' in the toolbar (next to the time). If you say yes to the 'desktop shortcut' the icon will be placed there, but as the name implies it's a shortcut to a file, usually in C:/Program Files. If you right click on the short cut icon then select Properties click the 'Find Target' button. This will take you right into the program file. In there, you will see a number of different files .. the program file (.exe) itself, perhaps a ReadMe file, an "Uninstall" file and others. These files need to stay in the main file (with a few exceptions that are not important) in order for the program to work. Nothing need be done to these files by you. By the way, most if not all the time, do not select to have the program running on startup (icon in the toolbar next to time), the less running processes you have, the faster your computer will boot up and run faster (less RAM memory is used).

Question 2, as you have found out, there are many .ico files, some are used by existing programs, but others you can use to change (personalize) icons you're already using. If for example you were to right click on your desktop >New>Folder, you would create a plain looking manila folder. Right click on this folder >Properties> Customize tab>at the bottom click 'Change icon' button. A window will open and show you a number of icons, select one click OK and OK again. Your file will now change to the one you selected. If you want to use an icon that's elsewhere, select the 'browse' button and go to where it's located (when you did the search for .ico an address appeared where each one was, make note of this and then browse there).

Hope this answers your questions.

Default Removing Icons---Thanks!

Thanks to all of you!

You have answered my questions quickly and clearly.

Best wishes for Christmas and 2006.

Tonfa