Default "mscoree.dll" missing file

Hi, I am new on your forum. I have a problem of a missing program file; from: C:\Program Files\CommonFiles\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\09\01\Intel32\DotNetInstaller.exe
    cannot find missing file: "mscoree.dll"
    I think this file was deleted when a virus was found in it, quarantined, could not be repaired, and was deleted.
    Is there a way to replace it ?... Is it an important file for the function of the computer?...I am using the old 98 Windows 2nd Ed. on this particular Dell PC. Thanks, Llessur

Hi

I just checked the path you posted :-

C:\Program Files\CommonFiles\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\09\01\Intel32\DotNetInstaller.exe

On my XP...

C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\engine\6\Intel 32

& on my win98 (exactly the same...)

I have 6 files in the Intel 32 folder (same files on both XP & win98) NO "mscoree.dll"

I guess yours came with .NET

http://www.auditmypc.com/process/mscoree.asp

mscoree.dll (Microsoft .net Runtime Execution Engine) - Details

The file mscoree.dll, contains program code used by the Microsoft .NET Framework when running programs written in the .NET programming language. If mscoree.dll is unavailable or stopped, and software installed on your computer that is written using .NET will no longer work.

mscoree.dll is flagged as a system process and does not appear to be a security risk. However, removing Microsoft .net Runtime Execution Engine may adversely impact your system.

As this is not a malware problem, I will move this thread to the Q & A forum

steam
    Look here for Ways to keep your computer safe
    M'SOFT MVP -Windows Security 2004/8 .member ASAP -

I can't seem to find information how the loss of the "mscoree.dll" file will adversely impact the functioning of my computer...or what the Microsoft
    .NET programs are that are affected...also if it is important, I have no idea how to restore the mscoree.dll file into the exe program files. Does anyone have a solution. Thanks for the help so far.

Go here: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dl....shtml?mscoree

Download the file, unzip it to your dektop. Move the folder to the top left corner of your screen. Then copy it into your system32 folder. Windows 98 may want it in the system folder. To copy it there, click on my computer, then on the C drive icon, open the Windows folder, find the system 32 (or system folder if there is no system32). Now use your mouse to drag the dll file to the system 32 folder and drop. That's it. Charlie