Default Changing Firewalls

My McAfee Personal Firewall subscription (prinstalled by Dell) will be running out in March and I have printed out the full instructions for how to uninstall it from the McAfee forum/website. My system sofware is as follows:

Windows XP Home SP2 Ver 5.1.2600 updated w/all patches
    Internet Explorer v6.0.2900
    WinPatrol v9.7.4.0
    Spybot S&D v1.4 (Teatimer Off)
    MSAS v1.0.615
    Ewido SecuritySuite v3.5
    Ad-Aware SE v1.06r1
    SpywareBlaster 3.4
    SpywareGuard v2.2.0
    IE-Spyad-latest
    CCleaner 1.24.180
    MVPS +SpybotS&D Hosts File Entries-latest
    McAfee Personal Firewall v7.0.152
    Yahoo On-Line Protection (CA EZ Antivirus v7.0.7.4)
    ISP= SBC DSL w/ SBC Yahoo Browser (modified IE code)

Having never installed a firewall, I need to ask a couple of questions prior to removing the MPF and installing the new firewall I finally choose.

1. Do I need to turn off all "protection" like MSAS, WinPatrol, CA Anti Virus, Spyware Guard and SpywareBlaster before I begin?

2. My Windows XP firewall (currently turned off) should stay off during and after the install, right? I know to stay off the internet until I get the new FW running OK. But if the new install causes problems & I need to get to this forum for help, should I turn on the Windows FW long enough to sign onto the internet to do that, or would it conflict with the partially/in-progress installation of the new one? I know two concurrent FW's is a NoNo!

3. Is the new FW software able to detect existing installed software and allow internet connectivity by default for currently-installed software? Or does this vary from SW to SW & I'll have to go into the new FW software screens and tell it each software I'm running & set up permissions manually for each one?

4. Is there a tutorial or prior thread here that might be of assistance on this process? I checked on Bleeping and Wilders and though they have many threads on firewalls, I found none for the sequence of steps to uninstall/install a firewall.

Are there any other areas/issues you would make recommendations regarding this topic?

As always, your help is greatly appreciated. Novices like me would be lost without it.
    SYSTEM SPECS: HP Pavilion p6-2120t desktop, Intel Pentium Quad Core, 8GB DDR#-1333MHz SDRAM (2 DIMMS), HP 23" HP 2311 LED monitor, Realtek PCI GBE Family Controller, Integrated sound, HP SATA 16X HD,
    Windows 7x64 Home Premium; Firefox 13.0.1 default; IE8; ATT DSL 2Wire modem/router; Yahoo Web Mail;
    Comodo FW 5.10 (D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi Peggy,

Questions 1 & 2 .. if you uninstall in Safe Mode (reboot PC and as it starts to boot up tap the f8 key till a window opens .. use your arrow to select Safe Mode>Enter), the other programs shouldn't be running to interfer with uninstall.

Q3 .. Every FW is different, it will probably detect some and some you will be asked to give access to the net as you use the software.

Q4 .. I don't know of a step-by-step guide (you've done a search, if you are unable to find one ... maybe one of our members knows of one .. stay tuned).

Try the free Zone Alarm for a FW .. many of our members use it.

Hope this helps.

Default Changing Firewall Questions

Good idea about uninstalling MPF in safe mode. Why didn't I think of that?! Thanks so much for your insightful suggestion. I use safe mode from time to time, but forget it's advantages sometimes!

I was leaning toward Sygate Firewall after much research. A lot of folks at Bleeping Computers like it. But with the recent takeover by Symanatec and this week's announcement Symantec is going to scrap it after all, I will probably go with Zone Alarm free because they have a user forum and so many people are using it. I have been reading the latest version is a little bit buggy, but I think I can find help here & other forums to give it a try.

Do you recommend installing the new firewall (whichever one I end up selecting) in safe mode also? If not, I would again ask, should all the "protection" items I have be turned off when I install it in normal mode?

Are you aware of any known conflicts between Zone Alarm free and any of the software on the above currently installed listing?

Thanks in advance for your opinions on this topic.
    SYSTEM SPECS: HP Pavilion p6-2120t desktop, Intel Pentium Quad Core, 8GB DDR#-1333MHz SDRAM (2 DIMMS), HP 23" HP 2311 LED monitor, Realtek PCI GBE Family Controller, Integrated sound, HP SATA 16X HD,
    Windows 7x64 Home Premium; Firefox 13.0.1 default; IE8; ATT DSL 2Wire modem/router; Yahoo Web Mail;

When installing any program, it's always advisable not to have programs running, if they appear in the toolbar next to the time, rt click and shut them down. As far as conflicts, I haven't heard of any, but that doesn't mean there aren't. Best thing you can do is take a look at ZA's FAQ's and see what the topics are.

Default Changing firewalls

Thanks Canuck. Good suggestion. Will do. Thanks for the guidance. And Happy Holidays to you and your family.

You're most welcome Peggy .. also wishing you and yours a great holiday season