Default Windows not working correctly?

I'm not exactly sure how to describe this problem succinctly.

When I turn the computer on, the desktop is completely blank. There's no start bar, no icons or anything. If I press the key on the keyboard with the windows flag thing on it, nothing happens. I can open Windows Task Manager with ctrl+alt+del, and open programs from there, but that's inefficient as I don't know the names of many applications well enough. I'm not sure if it's possible in a normal situation, but I can't open Windows Explorer from there.

Before this happened, the very last thing I was doing was using a MD uploading program, which had an error multiple times and had to be closed. I don't know if that has anything to do with this.

Try tapping the f8 key during start up to start in safe mode. Pick safe mode, let it come up completely, then shut it down normally. See if it will boot OK. If not, try the f8 thing again, but this time choose NO to go to system restore. Pick a date in BOLD print before you had trouble. Follow the instructions, the computer will reset and reboot. See if it is OK. If those don't work, post back and we'll see what we can do. Charlie