Thread: Dell laptop

Default Dell laptop

I have a Dell latitude laptop that shuts down after it warms up. Can someone please help me with this problem.

Thank you in advance.

Please tell us what you mean "warms up" are talking about the laptop getting hot or it finishes its boot?

BG

BG, it actually boots up and goes into windows XP then it shuts down, as if its loosing power. If you can help with this I will be grateful.

Thank you for you help

Try booting into safe mode by tapping the f8 key during start up. If it will boot in safe mode OK and stay on, it is most likely a software conflict. If it also goes off in safe mode, it is probably a hardware or overheating problem. To overheat that quickly, the heat/sink fan on the cpu would have to be bad.

If it stays on in safe mode, shut it down after a few minutes. Start it up in safe mode again, but when given the option, choose NO to enter system restore. Pick a date in bold type before the problem started, then follow the on screen instructions to reset your computer. If still no good, let us know. Charlie

It could also be a battery problem, does it stay on if it is plugged in?

It will not stay on, I thought it was a soft wear issuse so I took operating system (XP) off and try to re-load it and it wont stay on. So now It dose not have OS. So you think it might be a hard wear problem, could it be a bad the internal power supply?

I came across a similar problem on another web site. Try taking out the memory, should be an access door on the bottom, then reinstalling it. Dell computers seem to have an issue with blocked memory, or maybe more accurately, loose memory. charlie