Default screen goes black

hi when i turn my computer on the screen comes up normal then it goes black.it is still on because the power light is on and if im listining to music it plays.but if i wanted to do something i cant. if i turn the monitor off and on it comes up normal for 2 seconds then goes blank.i cant figure out whhats wrong and i dont know how to fix it please help.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

How old is your monitor? Sure sounds like it's the problem. Can you connect it to another PC and see if it works. If it does work, it could be your graphics card. Make sure the card is seated well inside the tower (make sure you touch something metal before going in to get rid of any static electricity you may have built up in your body).

it is a 2005 hp pavilion the monitor is brand ne wand it worked fine until recently and i just want to fix it but dont know how

where is the graphic card

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

If it's brand new, I suggest you get in touch with HP while it's still under warranty and have them check it out. You may void any warranty if you go into the tower.

You could try a system restore back to before you had problems. If it is a problem with software or driver, that may correct it. Charlie
    Directions here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...emrestore.mspx

I would try starting in safe mode to see if the screen stays. If it does then it is a driver problem easily fixed.