Default computer is constantly beeping

The reason for "other" type of computer is because it was a custom build from a company in Houston called Computer Exchange. My question is would a possible hard drive failure be signaled by a constant beeping sound coming from the internal speaker? It seriously sounds like the sirens in European countries. The thing that makes me think it might be a hard drive failure is that when I am downloading something the sound is more interrupted, and broken up, but when applications are running or if nothing is running at all, it is very constant, and very annoying! I downloaded AVG free edition and when I ran it it did detect some viruses, and I proceeded to clean them off and for the first few days after that it beeping was much much less, BUT that was last Sunday, the 4th, and it was beeping like crazy again as soon as 4 days later. Is there any hope for our ailing pc? Thank you in advance for your time and any assistance!

Your motherboard probably has a sensor on it to read either temperature (CPU, motherboard, or hard drive) or fan speed. The beeping is no doubt trying to tell you something is wrong. Look through your program list to see if you find something that deals with Computer Health, or Doctor, or Rx- open it and take a look at the info. Something will be above a preset limit. It needs to be corrected, or if the limit is set too low, the trigger point can be changed (don't do that unless you know what you are doing). Are there any icons showing in the system tray that you don't recognize? Click on it and it might open the program you want.
    Charlie

Thanks Charlie! I don't see anything on the programs list, or anything in the system tray. I thought I heard one of the fans kick off a few weeks ago, but it almost instantly started back up, and I haven't heard it cut off since. For the longest time, except when there would be a bad storm, my dad would leave the computer on 24/7. Then when this beeping started, he is turning it off when he is not using it, and because of the beeping and sporadic freezing up, he only uses it for 20 to 30 minutes a time, once, maybe 2x a day. I am glad that it will let us do the little bit we have to, but I know that the beeping means something is wrong.

You may be able to look at the temperatures in the computer BIOS. To do this, first turn on the computer and leave it on for at least 10 to 15 minutes to allow it to get to operating temperature and make sure it is beeping. Restart it, when it starts to boot, you will get a message at the bottom that says"hit ??? to ener set up' Hit whatever key it says, it is usually the DELETE key, but could also be one of the function keys. Once into the BIOS, look for something dealing with PC health. Take a look at the temperatures and fan speeds and anything else you find. Post back with the results and maybe we can figure out what is going on. Charlie

If the beeping starts as soon as you start the computer, it is probably a fan that is not working properly. If the beeping doesn't start until the computer has been on for awhile, it is probably an overheating problem.

Most new motherboards have sensors that can be read with software, not sure about yours. Try downloading everest Home Edition here:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

When you run it, click on the computer icon, then on sensor. It will take several seconds to detect everything (if it detects anything). It will show temperatures and fan speeds of anything that is monitored. Works on almost all XP installations, not sure about 98. Charlie