Default NT DETECT FAILED!!!!!!

HI to everyone!!!!

I need help with this weird issue , when i turn the pc on i get this error message "NT DETECT failed". this pc has windows 2000 installed on it, i know a way how fix it, but i don't have the rapair disk for windows 2000 i was trying to get but i couldn't.

can somebody please give another way?

thanks in advanced.

This is Microsoft's rememdy:

Windows 2000
    To resolve this issue in Windows 2000:
    1. Start the computer from the Windows 2000 CD-ROM.
    2. At the "Welcome to Setup" menu select R for repair.
    3. Select Manual Repair.
    4. Select only Startup Environment from the repair options.
    5. When prompted, insert the Emergency Repair Disk (ERD). If you do not have an ERD you can proceed without one.
    6. When the repair process is completed, remove the ERD from the floppy disk drive, and then press ENTER to restart the computer.

See if you can find someone to borrow a CD from. charlie

You seem to have several problems going on. Can you give us some more background on your computer and operating system. Charlie

Member Help2Go Moderator

If you don't have the Windows 2000 Pro CD then you can download the .exe file listed below. Once downloaded, you need to double click to run it. After double clicking it...you need to extract the 3 files. It will default extract to C:\2k_boot_disk\* . Once it's finished extracting, you need to format a floppy disk. After formatting, copy all 3 files from the C:\2k_boot_disk directory (or if you changed where the files were to extract to, then you need to copy from that directory) and paste the files into the newly formatted floppy. After done copying, put floppy into the pc that's having boot issues and turn it on. This will get you past the NT Detect error and should boot into your desktop or logon screen as long as the only problem you have is the ntdetect file is corrupted.

Unfortunately, this process (specifically the boot.ini file) is assuming quite a bit.

It's assuming you have only 1 hard drive installed AND that you have only 1 partition on that hard drive (meaning C:\ drive only) AND that windows is installed in the C:\winnt folder. If ANY one of these assumptions are wrong...this floppy will not work. If you wish to give me those details as to how many hard drives are installed and how many paritions you have and which partition/drive windows is installed on and also, which folder is windows installed on, then I will be able to give you the correct boot.ini but I'm pretty confident that these files will suffice.

Partieā„¢

I have only one hard drive, and i have the windows 2000 pro cd, what i don't have is the repair diskette for it, so i'm start to apply your ideas to see what happends.

Do you have a legal copy of 2000 or a boot leg copy of it ?

BG