Default xp updates can they be removed ?

just wondering if this is possible or desirable as obviuosly it takes up space ?

Default Re: xp updates can they be removed ?

Quote Originally Posted by redrooster
    just wondering if this is possible or desirable as obviuosly it takes up space ?
    Yes it is possible, is it desirable? IMHO no it isn't. Without the updates you are vulnerable to allot of security problems. Just my 2 ¢
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Default Re: xp updates can they be removed ?

Yes it is possible, is it desirable? IMHO no it isn't. Without the updates you are vulnerable to allot of security problems. Just my 2 ¢
    Bear, aren't there install file of the updates that can be deleted if space is needed? I seem to remember this question before. They're in the folder listed i386 or something like that?

The XP updates will occupy a lot less HD space than the crap things you open yourself up to.

If you are going to use XP, the updates are not an option.

BG

Member Help2Go Moderator

Leah,

the i386 folder is actually where the files come form in a default install. There are a lot of people that "tweak" (or "unbloat" depending on how you look at it) the default install of Windows XP and they remove files from the i386 folder. That really doesn't have to do with hotfixes or service packs. To get rid of those, you need to be able to view hidden files/folders & view hidden/protected operating system files. Once you do that. Go into your windows install dir (Typicall C:\windows or C:\winnt) and look for any transparent folder name that starts with a dollar sign ($). They mostly have a folder name of $NTUninstallKBxxxxx where xxxxx is the knowledge base article the update applies to.

Agreeing with Basement, I wouldn't do it. IF space is needed THAT bad then you should probably use a different version of Windows or a whole different operating system at that.

Partie™

Ahh, I see. Thanks Partie!