Default Can't get my computer to work!! plezz help.

I have a compaq 5bw 5000a series. i keep on geting this screen.

Microsoft Windows 98 startup Menu
    ============================================
    1.Normal
    2.logged (BOOTLOG.TXT)
    3.Safe Mode
    4.Step-By-Step confirmation
    5.Command prompt only
    6.Safe mode command prompt only

Enter a choice:3

Warning:windows did not finish loading on the previous attempt.
    Chosse safe mode, to start windows with aminimal set of drivers.

f5=safe mode Shift+f5=command prompt

I tryed formating it but i can't get it to work. i can get it to format and windows 98 start setingup, but when the setup restarts your computer it would frezz and if it dose restart it act like if i did nothing. i know its not the cd i got 2 98 cds and a windows 2000 i tryed both. Windows 2000 just says it cant load some of the files. I know its something to do with that screen that pops up..

Thank you for your help.

A computer can start in safe mode for a variety of reasons. The first thing to try is to choose safe mode and let the computer start up. It will look different because it doesn't load the drivers for the graphics card. Now just shut it down normally and restart. If it still doesn't start normally, have you made any changes to your computer? Any new software or hardware? Undo the changes and see if it is OK. Charlie

I do understan what you are telling me. Something was changed but bro dose not know what he did to it. it let me format it and i did and i also tryed reinstalling windows 98 but on the point were windows setup restarts it would act if nothing happend. I know its not the cd.. I have more than one os. I have a feeling the bios were missed with. Did all i could to the bios even reset them. I think i have to reload the bios or something but i don't know how to do this.

p.s Thank you for your help Grim322.

You can always reset bios to default, (if you haven't done so already) look for a red jumper on the motherboard that connects 2 of 3 pins. Move it over to connect the exposed pin with the middle one. Leave it for a few seconds, then move it back. That will reset to default. Charlie

I have reset the bios to default, and still got the same thing. But the jumper thing sounds like it would to the trick. I am going to open the computer and try to find that jumper. Can you let me know do i move the jumper when the computer is off or do i shut it down every time i move the jumper? Thank you alot i hope this works!

I just open my computer and took a good look at it.. I have 2 with a jumper that has 3 pins another that has no jumper that has 3 pins. How would i know what jumper to move?

I only have 2 the one without a jumper is something else. Sorry

Do it with the computer off. The jumper that resets the bios is usually red in color. If not, do you know the brand and model number of your motherboard (or do you have the manual). Charlie

I found out what jumper was the right one. Thank you so much for you help.