Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Quicktime 7 will not install

hi,

basically when i try installing the latest Quicktime from the Apple website i get a message saying:

'Security Alert
    Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded'

When this happens a yellow bar appears at the top of the browser saying:

'Your security settings do not allow Web sites to use ActiveX controls installed on your computer. This page page may not display correctly. Click here for options...'

However instead of allowing me to install the required ActiveX control when i click on the bar, it simply says: 'Information bar help'

I'm pretty sure that my security settings are correct, and would normally allow me install such a program:

* Download signed ActiveX controls (Prompt)
    * Download unsigned ActiveX controls (Disable)
    * Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe (Disable)
    * Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins (Enable)
    * Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting (Enable)

I've never had any problems trying to install other programs, it only seems to be Quicktime. I tryed getting it from download.com however this simply re-directed me back to the Apple website.

If anyone could give me any insight into this problem, it would be greatly appreciated, cheers

royster

In Internet Explorer, go to tools> internet options> privacy and then lower your settings. Install the program. If I were you, I'd raise my settings back after intalling quicktime.

hey, thanks for the response leah.

I lowered the security level, disconnected and tried again but to no avail.

I then temporarally enabled both 'Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls' and 'Automatic prompting for file downloads' to try and get around the blocker at the top of the browser, however neither of these worked, and i still can't install quicktime :cry:

cheers,

royster

hmmm. Interesting. Have you tried using a different browser?

I just looked briefly at the quicktime site and it says for windows 2000/XP. Do you have one of those operating systems?

when you say try using a different browser do you mean something like Mozilla?

Yes i have Windows XP Professional Version 5.1.2600 SP 2 Build 2600, i don't know if that will help in any way...

meanwhile i will have a route round and see if i can get it off another site (obviously i want to be careful where i get it from, in regards to legitimacy and site security, hence trying to get it from download.com)

cheers anyhow,

royster

Yes, by browser I mean Mozilla or Firefox. If you don't have Firefox, it's sounds to me like this might be a good time to give it a try. :wink: If you want, I can give you a list of my favorite extensions too.

Just as i was reading this post, i was about to download Firefox 1.5 because i noticed you talking about it in the general discussion forum.

I'm definetely going to give it a go, hopefully it will help me out with my quicktime issue and i might just fall in love with it.
    I'd be very happy for you to share your extensions, i'm always ready to embrace new things

cheers,

royster

rejoice! i downloaded mozilla firefox 1.5 went to apple website and immediatly installed Quicktime without any worries.....i believe i am sold to firefox already :wink:

i really like the use of tabs..thats the only noticeable/useful difference i've seen so far, but i'm sure i'll discover other aspects.

I had heard about this quite a while back but never thought to get it, looks like i'll be an avid fan from now on

thanks

royster

Ok, here are the extensions I use:

All-in-One Gestures (kinda self explanatory, i think)

FirefoxView (adds view in firefox to context menu in IE)

IE View (adds view in IE to context menu in firefox)

PDF Download (when you click on a link to a pdf, it asks if you want to download it, open it in the current tab or open in a new tab)

I have some more, but those are really the only ones I actually use all the time. I LOVE mouse gestures and I hate it when I try to use them in IE. Oh, another one is Dictionary Tooltip. If you find a word you don't know, double ckick on it and another window comes up with a defnition (if there is one). It's pretty cool.

I also have adblock, but I have it disable now. Since I downloaded 1.5, it hasn't worked for me. But other people haven't had problems, so I really don't know what's going on there.

One more :wink: I used to use was Ebay Negs!, but it hasn't been updated for 1.5. But when it worked, you could right click on someone's name in ebay and it would sort through their feedback and just show you the negatives and nuetrals. It was pretty handy.

Quote Originally Posted by royster
    rejoice! i downloaded mozilla firefox 1.5 went to apple website and immediatly installed Quicktime without any worries.....i believe i am sold to firefox already :wink:

i really like the use of tabs..thats the only noticeable/useful difference i've seen so far, but i'm sure i'll discover other aspects.

I had heard about this quite a while back but never thought to get it, looks like i'll be an avid fan from now on

thanks

royster
    Awesome. For me the most noticable difference with 1.5 is you can rearrange the tabs!! Ilove being able to put them in different orders if I feel like it. I don't usually find many times to use it though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast