Default Trend Micro scan is stuck or looping

Having all kinds of problems with my PC. Have Windows XP and for the last few days have been unable to launch IE and have had extreme slow down in response time. Also, the scanner on my printer is disabled - I uninstalled then reinstalled the printer software from it's CD but the scan portion of the machine does not install.

I followed your instructions for spyware and launched the scans....the trend micro scan completed 20minutes ago - the left hand side says 'preparing' and the cursor blinks rapidly with an hourglass. The bottom left of the screen flashes 'done' '[3 itmes remaining] downloading picture' and [2 items remaing] downloading picture'

If I hit the RESULTS tab, 3 items are listed:

TRAK_SE.781
    ADW_SE.66505
    HTTP cookies

The Status side of the screen is as follows
    Step 1 lists black
    Step 2 lists white
    Step 3 lists grey

I don't know what other info you may need, I do know that I am so frustrated I am ready to throw this PC out the window!

Try scrolling down to the bottom of the screen to see if you get the option to "REMOVE" or "COMPLETE" Charlie

there is nothing there

The scan can take over an hour to run, are you sure it is done? You can try running the Java based version instead of the ActiveX one. You will be given the option at the beginning if you have Java enabled. Charlie

It says 'preparing', doesn't that indicate the scan is complete and it is preparing the report of what it found?

It is possible that it is 'preparing' to scan. How long have you waited when you see 'preparing'? It can take 15minutes. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

I fired off the scan again....

This is what it says in the lower left hand corner above the gas bar..

19:07 Preaparing to scan
    19:08 Scanning
    19:10 Preparing

The same files are listed as before under the 'results' tab..

it is now 19:44 and it still says 'preparing' with the same info as listed above flashing in the lower left hand corner.....