Default Power Supply problem?

When I turn on PC it works for a few seconds and turns off. If I try to power it up again immediately it won't make a sound. If I'll wait 5-10 minutes I'll start at point one.
    I bought a power supply tester and tried checking power supply totally disconnected from any device within PC. It works. When I additionally connect Hard Drive along with tester. It works. When I connect in addition to HD anything else like fan or Floppy Drive either it shuts down immediatelly or works for a few minutes and then shuts down. Basically results are inconsistent to defenitelly blame it on power supply or something else...
    I have few questions:
    1. Does this tester has limitations and shuts down when i plug in additional devices (while testing the power supply) due to overload or my power supply is bad. The light comes-on on the tester indicating that power supply is working.
    2. How else can I test what's going on with the PC and why it shuts down.
    3. If it is not power supply that causing it where should I search for the cause of this problem and whether it worth fixing it.

Mainly this PC used for web browsing and Word and I have cable ISP so it serves its purpose while it's working.

Thank you in advance....

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

You need to measure the current each outless is capable of.
    Power supplies seems to be one of the forst things to break down on moden systems. If you have added drives etc since buying the computer you may need to upgrade. Look at 400+ watt ones.
    Other possible causes for your problem is faulty memory or overheating The latter could be the result of bad power.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

The only upgrade was addition of PC100 RAM 2 dimms (128MB each). What do you mean by "measure the current each outless is capable of"?

Hi - I believe whoozhe means test the power from each cable (outlet) from the Power Supply to various components inside the PC. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Thank you for your advises ladies and gentlemen. Using power supply tester came to a conclusion that something wrong with power supply. Swaped it today to a new one. So far it works only ran into different issue.
    See my posting for Drive Error. Press F1 to resume