Default when fitting ram memory upgrades earthing the computer query

hello can anyone advise me
    i recently bought ram memory upgrade and the site had* fitting instructions and makes this task seem very easy

but it says in order to earth my computer whilst changing the ram i should leave it plugged into the mains*
    will the computer still be earthed*plugged into a socket that's switched off or do i need to keep it switched on*

many thanks for any advice you can offer *

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

To be 100% sure, you should unplug your PC, and before going in to make changes, just touch the outside case (metal part) to discharge any static you may have built up.

The computer is always grounded through the ground plug of the electric cord when the computer is plugged in. Any time you are working inside the computer, it should be turned off. As far as unplugged or not, you will see recommendations both ways. If not familiar with working inside a computer, follow Canucks advice and unplug. When taking the side off of the computer case you will no doubt discharge any static, but just to be sure- touch a metal part of the case before touching any electrical component.

Charlie