Default BSOD - Computer keeps restarting itself!!

So here's the deal... I recently installed some new RAM in my computer, and about a week afterwards, I started getting the blue screen of death. Mostly I get the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error, but I have also gotten the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA. Not only do I get these error messages, but after restarting once, it restarts about twice more during startup. Also many of my programs are crashing on me now, and my DVD burner is very slow (even though I also recently installed a new USB 2.0 card - this was installed right after the reformat). At first I thought it might be a virus, but my cousin reformatted the entire harddrive and apparently it was still rebooting even when he was reinstalling Windows. He thought he had it stabilized, and gave me the computer back, and after installing Webroot Spy Sweeper and Microsoft Office 2003, it started happenning again. I removed the programs, but it is still happening, even more often than before the reformat. The only difference that I know of is that he switched the place of the 512 MB and the RAM that came with the computer... could this be a factor? He didn't think it was the new RAM, because he did a memory check. Might also be the CPU overheating, as the fan is broken... Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Kristin

Why in the world would continue to use this PC with a dead CPU fan ???

Yes an overheated CPU can cause, so can bad RAM. Hopefully you have not fried the CPU.

BG

Default fan

I really don't know much about the insides of computers, my cousin just told me about the fan not working. But how can I tell whether it is the fan, like if the CPU is fried, or if it is the memory? Thanks for your help,

Kristin

Well replace the fan, if you take the side of your base unit see if fan is working but be careful don't start poking around saftey first if you continue you will only make things worse, so if it is the fan replace it then you will know about if it is CPU or RAM,i if you continue to try and run it as Basement say's WHY if you ain't sure take it in to a shop, like Basement said you could be lucky so don't push your luck you could end up spending more than you have too so just sort the fan out and take it from there.

Paul

Hi - Your first job is to replace the fan on the cpu. The fan is there to keep the cpu cool. If the cpu is not cooled it will, at best, become unstable and give you all sorts of problems. At worst, as Basement has already said, the cpu is destroyed. You should not run the pc until the fan is replaced, and THEN you will know if the cpu is damaged. Is there a name/reference on the top of the fan? This will make getting a suitable replacement easier.Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Quote Originally Posted by galena1
    Hi - Your first job is to replace the fan on the cpu. The fan is there to keep the cpu cool. If the cpu is not cooled it will, at best, become unstable and give you all sorts of problems. At worst, as Basement has already said, the cpu is destroyed. You should not run the pc until the fan is replaced, and THEN you will know if the cpu is damaged. Is there a name/reference on the top of the fan? This will make getting a suitable replacement easier.Regards.
    Yep Galena is correct scratch my post don't even bother to try and run it just replace the fan

Happy Christmas Rudolph