Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Accessing Harddrive for File Transfer

I just got a new desktop computer, a Dell XPS 600. Recently, my old laptop had what I believe is a video card problem (That was a Dell Inspiron 5150). Basically, when I try to boot up the Laptop, all I get is various columns of different colors. I would like to transfer my old files onto my new computer, but how can I do that when I can't see anything on the screen of my old computer. It sounds like it is booting up normal, but I can't log in cuz I can't see anything on the screen. Is there anyway to transfer the files? Running XP Pro on the old XP Media on the new.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Try booting up the laptop in safe mode (press F8 when booting)
    There is a choice to use safe mode with networking.
    If ok set it up to network with the desktop and you should be able to access the files.
    You can change the resolution to 16 colors try it that way You can uninstall the card from within safe mode and reboot.
    If possible Windows will revert to 16 colors. Ugly but at least you will have full access
    You may even be able to install new drivers on the laptop.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

I can't even get the laptop to start in safe mode. As soon as I turn it on the problems with the graphics starts. I turn it on, and hit f8 and it does nothing. Any other way to get to the information on the laptop harddrive?

The problem could be with the display itself, not windows. If that is the case, no matter what you do, the display will be bad. Some more info will be helpful. Does the laptop have only one CD drive? Do you have access to an external USB drive? If necessary, would you be comfortable with removing the hard drive from the laptop? Charlie

It has 1 cd-drive. I have no external usb drive. Yes I would be comfortable with removing the hard drive.

First, to verify if it is the display or Windows causing the problem. You could boot off of a Linux live CD and see if the computer looks OK. Linux uses its own operating system and drivers. A live CD actually runs from the CD, not the hard drive. If you had a second CD drive or external usb drive, you could tranfer files using the Linux CD. It might be possible to network the 2 computers from the Linux live CD and transfer files, haven't tried that yet. Info on Linux live cds here:
    http://www.help2go.com/article241.html

You should be able to remove the hard drive and hook it up to your desktop as a slave drive and access the data on it. To do so, you may need an adapter kit because it is a notebook drive that you are putting in a desktop. Info on adapter here:
    http://www.bixnet.com/adfor25to35h.html

Charlie

Do they sell the adapters at computer stores, or do I have to buy it from the site you listed?

They are probably available at computer stores, the web site was just for reference to show what you need. Charlie

Thank you very much for all of your help. If I still can't get it, I'll be posting back.

So I went and bought a 44-pin to 40-pin adapter and it doesn't fit the laptop harddrive. What other options are there? Should I try Linux? Should I try hooking up my laptop to a different monitor and see if that will do anything?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast