Default No COM Ports to Install the USB MODEM

Hello there, I'm trying to Install my Phones modem and it just doesn't display any ports there, before it showed COM4 COM6 now nothings there.

and when I connect my phone to the PC it shows USB Device not recognised

can anyone help me out please

thanks,

Nripen

Hi - Did you install the software that came with the Modem before plugging it in? What is the Model Number? Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Also - what is your operating system?
    Edit: I'm just dropping any information that might be useful :wink:

In 98/98SE - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q190554/

In XP -
    To change the COM port for a modem
    You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.
    Open Phone and Modem Options in Control Panel.
    On the Modems tab, click the modem you want to configure, and then click Properties.
    On the Advanced tab, click Advanced Port Settings.
    If this option is not displayed, the modem does not support changing the assigned COM port
    In Com Port Number, click the port number you want to use.
    Notes
    To open Phone and Modem Options, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Phone and Modem Options.
    Do not change this setting unless it is required by your system configuration. The communications port is normally assigned correctly when you install a modem.
    The advanced COM port settings are available only for certain brands of modems. If you do not have one of these modems, to change the assigned COM port, you must reinstall the modem and choose the desired COM port.

Do you have an existing internal modem? You could try disabling it in 'Device Manager'.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

thanks for the reply, I tried the things you said it didn't work. I disabled my internal modem, its on COM3 and tried to install my cellphones modem (Motorola A925, phone itself is the modem) again , it just didn't display any port, I also reinstalled my cellphone software but it didn't help

I'm using Windows XP home edition

I could connect it to my pc when I first Installed the software months ago, now that i'm trying to connect again, this problems arising. My pc has mmc/sd card input thing so I used to just plugin the memory card and transfer the files instead of using the USB cable, but now I want to create a backup of my text messages and softwares installed in my phone, and it can be done only by connecting it to the pc via USB.

is there any problem in my USB inputs? I plugged in the cable in all four , two in front two behind, but it just shows the same error "USB Device not recognised".

You can use this program to check you USB Ports.

BG

Member Help2Go Moderator

also, if you haven't yet, check out howardforums.com for cell phone modifications and "hacking". Tons of great info on there.

Partieā„¢

Hi - I've had another look around the web and this is quite a common problem that there seems to be no straightforward answer for. I suggest that you uninstall the phone/software. Then reinstall the software and try again. In some cases people have had to do this several times before the software installed properly and recognised the connection. You could perhaps try the Motorola site and see if there is an updated driver. Regards.

Another thing to try- I have noticed lately that many new USB printers tell you to turn off your virus protection before installing the software. Try turning yours off before installation, just remember to turn it back on when finished. Charlie

thank you guys I'll try everything now!

hi there, I tried everything Nothings Working! I even did the PC Recovery and it changed my PC to factory settings and I connect the cable with just phone software installed and it says "USB Device not recognised" 8O

It still doesn't display any port to Install the Motorola USB Modem to, I run the INTEL USB check, its working fine. So now I'm going to throw the cable and buy a bluetooth adapter, that'll be better :twisted: