Default DVD/Cd-RW conflict??

I have a gateway pentium 4 with Windows xp. I came with a matshita ujda720 DVD/CD-RW. For some time now I have been unable to use the Dvd/cd drive. The computer acts as if it would like to let me use it. The yellow light on the drive begins to flicker but it never accomplishes the task. This is regardless of whether I just put it in or go to my computer and double click the icon to run.

In safe mode I am able to run the drive but it takes a long time as if it is laboring to preform the task. I am beginning towonder if there is a software conflict. Anyone with any ideas? :idea: I am not professional enough to know which programs in the process window of the task manager stay and which go. Nothing new has been added to the pc in question.

No amount of defrag and cleaning seems to help.

Thanks Nancy

If this just happened, try doing a system restore back to before you had problems. Charlie

Thanks Charlie.
    I am not sure how long this has been happening but I will try the system restore. It will be a hit and miss as to when it occurred. There are 3 pc in the house and this one hardly gets used for more than email and card games. Nancy

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

try removing the drive, reboot then reinstall it. There is a good chance Windows will find the appropriate drivers. If not then assume the drive has passed on to join defuct VCRs
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.