Thread: Game stuff

Default Game stuff

I suppose I should just bite the bullet here and bother you nice admins about another issue. Some of my games since I got this computer AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+ 2.20 GHz, 1.00GB RAM, Radeon 9800 PRO (APG), have been taking at various times up to 5 minutes to start, but it varies.
    Usually its around two mintutes which for this kind of computer is ridiculous. Now my old pentium four upstairs, which is I'm almost sure 1.5GHz runs some of the same games in like half a minute. Its graphics is another APG, but a slightly older Nividia card.
    Now remember this started pretty much at the beginning of when I installed it, which was around when I got my computer. Not to mention the recent problem of my games periodically lagging. Thats after I got rid of Vundo and everything else. I have a feeling with the lag its the graphics card or something but I don't know. How could it have handled it before and not now? Keep in mind my first question too.

If the games seem to run OK, after they load my first guess that you have to many things loading on start up. A new PC generally have too many things that are not necessary loading on start up.

BG

Yes but now I've had it for over a year and same problem plus this new screen lag and temporary screen freezing. I thought it was vindo but I guess not, maybe its that worms armageddon icon thing been trying to get rid of.

Your log never showed Vundo problem, that screen Steam showed you was just an example.

Need to get back to the Spyware forum in next couple of hours before that forum is shut down until 3 Jan 06:

http://www.help2go.com/postt17277.html

Current time here 10:20 EST. Hopefully our expert, Steamwiz will be on in the next 5-6 hours. Steam is in the UK, about 7 hours difference.

Whilst we are a good place for spyware and general PC help, there are better sites for questions about games.

BG

Have you tried reinstalling graphics card drivers? Maybe something was removed/changed during cleanup. Did you ever download any patches for the games. Just shots in the dark. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

A Lesson and AMD vs Pentium. AMD chips are always slower in loading games than the more games friendly Pentium chips.
    One of the best ideas in running games is to set up a seperate user just for gaming. This then allows you to configure the user to maximize a games environment.
    Try making the new user a power user. A power user can do more than a normal user but not able to access system files. This adds extra security when sharing a system or playing online.
    My method is I have several user accounts, each configured for special purposes. I even have an offline one when I need as much grunt as possible.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

My powersupply was 250 and according to ATI, radeon 9800 recommended a 300 or greater, so I got a 350. The reason being I thought that would solve my blackout issues. Thats what I've been doing while taking so long to reply. (read below to understand :lol: )

Thanks for the replies I believe it is an administrator, in Windows XP, and I've heard that Athlon is the way to go gaming wise, by which for the most part I agree. Now...I hope I'm not confusing any of you but those that state that pentium hold over Athlon in certain areas such as gaming are incorrect. Fear, and Doom two of the sorces of the Screen Blackouts, and Graphics Driver restarts I've been having start up in about 10 seconds. Where as certain lower peformance, graphics, and load size games take up to several minutes sometimes! Even odder is that some of these games are not made by the same company!
    So I'm not taking it out on the processor, and my computer issues have gone from annoying to possibly damaging. I'd like to say that that isn't the issue here, but don't quote me because I mentioned that I have a 1.5 Pent Four upstairs that runs them pretty quick :roll:. I also know someone with a 1.7 Athlon and his runs fine booting gamewise etc. I still haven't found the source of my blackouts. Here I have ran Doom3 since I got it and occasionaly it has blacked the computer for over the course of year. That is very rarely of course. Suddenly it does it close to every level. No updates were made recently, no changes in graphics levels. Now I'm keeping part of the tower open to see if my card has a fan or heat issue. I was considering updating or rolling back the driver. Guidance would be appretiated.
    And to conclude my babbling, about the worms armageddon thing, I think I need to start a new post, cause I'm lost. I need to stop mixing my threads! :roll: Oh yeah, and if any of that didn't make sense which I bet it didn't, ask and I'll clarify.
    Thanks for tolerating me,
    AEGGD