Default Networking Problems

Hi all, I recently bought a router to connect three PCs to a single Cable (Telewest Blueyonder) broadband connection. The Internet on all three PCs works fine but I am having trouble setting up a network on two of them in order to share files.

I have been through the "Set up a home or small office network" choosing the second option, connecting through another computer or residential gateway.

Once I have completed the Wizard on both computers choosing the same workgroup name the problems arise.
    On one computer it seems to have worked fine. When I click on "My Network Places" the shared files from that computer are there and when I click on "View Workgroup Computers" that computer is on there but not the other one.

When I try to do either of these things on the other computer I get the attached message. "Home is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this network resource."

I have tried running the wizard again choosing the Custom option and then through a network hub but I still get the same result.

I am the only user of the computer and do have an administrator account.
    Any help would be greatly received.

Cheers, Dave.

It is probably a firewall issue. What firewall are you using? Charlie

I am using Norton (I had it before I knew about Zone Alarm). How do I unblock the network with it?

Now that you mention it the other computer that does have access to the network is running zone alarm.

Cheers, Dave.

I'm not familiar with Norton, but you should be able to unblock either the entire workgroup or each individual ip address (or range of addresses) such as 192.168.0.101 (or whatever). Charlie

Hi Dave - Open Personal Firewall. Where you have the option to turn on/off firewall is another button - 'Configure'. Click on 'Configure' and there you will find the 'Home Network' tab where there is a wizard. Hope this helps.Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Hey guys, thanks for all the help. In the end I decided to remove Norton and install Zone Alarm as I only had month left on the subscription and I had an old version (2004) where I could not find any network wizard or configure buttons.

Once zone alarm was installed all I had to do was to add the IP's of my router and each PC and it now works perfectly.

Cheers, Dave.