Default Uninstalled svchost.exe Help

Hello
    My O/S is Windows 98, my computer skills are limited.

Accidentltly got a toolbar not sure which one. To try and get rid of it, thinking it may be malware of some sort, I uninstalled svchost.exe through the control panel.

Although svchost.exe is not part of or required for Windows 98 my computer will not boot beyond where the wallpaper comes up and gives a message "invald page fault in Explorer.exe at 015f:00401f31".

I've tried scanreg/restore without success.

Any help would be appreciated.
    thanks

Here is what MS says about the error code:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=219269

I am kind of concerned about the svchost. Best I can see a 98 system should not have this.

I uninstalled svchost.exe through the control panel.
    Were was in the control panel ? Is it in your recycle bin by chance?

BG

svchost.exe is a virus on windows 95, 98 and Me, i'm looking for a fix for this now

ok, i'm not too sure if this will work, but it's worth a try:

first make a backup of your registry

then find and delete these:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\iexplorer.exe

found this info at: http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread11821.html

it would also help if you could get into safe mode and run hijack this and post the log here if you can still access safe mode.

svchost can be quite a few things.

Seems like I fixed my problem. Svchost. exe in Windows 98 is some kind of malware, there are many versions.

I assume when SVCHOST was uninstalled it took some shared files with it causing my desktop and task bar to crash. Svchost. exe in Windows 98 is malware.

Did some error code searching on google, a wonderful tool, and found some old posts on another site addressing a similar problem. They suggested reinstalling windows might work and also keep all the files and programs intact.

What I did was use a startup disk selecting CD support (mine did not recognise the windows cd) and reinstalled windows 98. It worked and no svchost. The only drawback is must have the windows cd.

I appreciate your responses
    Thanks

yes that would work, also if you didn't format it would pay to run some scans just to make sure there isn't any traces that have been left behind