Default XP doesn't recognize HD. Says needs to format.

I just built a new computer and threw in the HD from my old one.

After setting everything up, my new computer see's the drive but I'm unable to access any information on it.

It always asks me to format it. (I need the info on it )

I always format in NTFS and am positive my old drive is formatted this way. My new one is as well. In the Computer Management screen, the computer does not see any file system for this drive.

Is there a way for me to get my data accessible on my old drive so that I can transfer it to my new one?

Any help is much appreciated.

A HD with an operating system will not work in a different PC. You can take that HD and put it in as a slave drive on a working PC and then transfer the info you want.

BG

Quote Originally Posted by Basementgeek
    A HD with an operating system will not work in a different PC. You can take that HD and put it in as a slave drive on a working PC and then transfer the info you want.

BG
    Hey, thanks for the quick response.

I'm a little confused about what you wrote.
    After re-reading my post I think I didn't describe the situation well.

Currently my setup is this:
    New SATA HD with fresh XP installed on it. (runs fine)
    Old IDE drive (shows no file system) is on IDE0 as master with another old IDE drive (shows up fine) as slave.
    IDE1 has a DVD and DVDR on it.

I'm currently up and running on my new computer. However, I need to get my data off my old HD which is an additional drive in my new computer.

if all you need to do is transfer files have you considered using any ntfs reader software? i use this one and it cost nothing.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/ntfsdos.html
    we are created with an equal opportunity to be unequal.

Thanks, I will try that.
    I think it says that it can only write to FAT filesystems though. I will try and mess with that to see if it will work.

How is your BIOS set up? First check that each drive is being correctly recognised by the BIOS. Secondly check that you have support for Serial and Parallel drives (SATA and IDE) enabled in the BIOS. Lastly, check the boot sequence. Under the sequence (Floppy, CD, Hard Disk) should be an option called Hard Drives or something similar. Make sure the new hard drive with you fresh OS install is selected.

It looks as though all of this is set up right but it can't hurt to check. Sometimes it is a BIOS issue.

Cheers, Dave.

Yeah, I believe the BIOS is correct.

The computer runs fine. It recognizes the spare drive, but it shows that it has no filesystem so it wants me to format it.