Default Scan Disk takes forever to run????

Hey guys, I was wondering if there might be a faster way to run scandisk on my computer. I was going to defrag lastnight and it said I had to run scan disk first. I tried running it and it just kept restarting over and over, so I decided to run it in MSDOS mode. After 12 hours it was only 70% done. I'm running a 80 gig hard drive and still have 54.4 gig remaining. This thing has all ways taken forever to run scan disk for some reason, drives me nutts to have to wait for so long. below is my system information.

Windows ME
    OS Name Microsoft Windows
    Version 4.90.3000 Build 3000
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name CHUGHES
    System Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
    System Model MS-6330
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) processor AuthenticAMD ~1328 Mhz
    BIOS Version Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    Locale United States
    Time Zone Central Standard Time
    Total Physical Memory 767.45 MB
    Available Physical Memory 383.51 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.39 GB
    Page File Space 1.25 GB

Have you tried the safemode?

It appears that you have an older system (WinME) may be a failing HD?

BG

Yep I tried Safe mode too. This computer has always taken forever for some reason. The reason for Windows Me was on my part. That's the OS I chose when I had it built. I wasn't to fond of Windows XP I didn't know nothing about it at the time. I know I should prob go ahead and upgrade, but I just can't figure out why this dang thing takes for ever to run scan disk. The hard drive hasn't giving me any trouble to speak of since I bought it that I recall. It's just everyone tells me that it shouldn't take that long even for a 80 gig to run a thorough scan disk. The standard only takes a minute or so!

Hi

The reason it keeps starting over, in normal mode is because something is writing to disk in the background, this is very

common, it is probably your screensaver... to run in normal mode, Ctrl-Alt-Del and shut down everything except

explorer & systray ... better still, run from safemode, as you have..

I'm not surprised it is taking so long to do a thorough scandisc... when in this mode it checks the surface of the

disc for bad clusters, if any are found, it will mark the segment so that it is not used, otherwise you could end up saving

(and losing) data in bad segments...

I have a Win98 machine (300MHz) with a 6 gig Hard-drive and it takes over 4 hours to run a surface scan...

Yours is 1328 Mhz & 80 gig ... I'm not surprised it take over 12 hours...

steam
    Look here for Ways to keep your computer safe
    M'SOFT MVP -Windows Security 2004/8 .member ASAP -

I feel bad about posting this.

I just fired my old NEC 333mhz 96 RAM,15 gig HD (Under 2 gig used)98Gold.

Scan disk took about 45 seconds to run !!!

I will tell you that this was done in the normal mode, it has AVG, Zone Alarm, Fax programs running. This PC is rarely used, probably has not been on the internet in months. This thing only takes 5-7 seconds to shut down. I wish my XP machines were this quick to boot and shut down.

BG

P.S. I paid $6.00 for this machine 3 years ago.

Ok guys thanks for all your help. I guess I'm just going to have to get used to it taking so long. And I thought abought buying a 120-180 gig hard drive...LOL I think I'll pass on that for now and stick with my 80 gig. Hate to have to wait 2 days to scan disk....LOL

Once again thanks!

HI BG

I believe you... for a standard scan

Now do a thorough scan ...click options & make sure system and data areas is checked...

When it's a while since you've used win98, the memory plays tricks... It was the defrag which took over 4 hours (lots of fragmented files) the more often you run it, the less time it takes... scandisk thorough did take over an hour though....

going on your details BG ... I would say 2 hours for a thorough scan...

steam

Added by BG- deep scan does take a couple of hours
    Look here for Ways to keep your computer safe
    M'SOFT MVP -Windows Security 2004/8 .member ASAP -