Default Add and Remove Programs - it won't!

I got a free evaluation CD copy of Adobe Elements 3.0 a year ago. I don't use it and don't want it as I purchased Serif's PhotoPlus10 instead. So I went to Add and Remove Programs, found Adobe Elements and highlighted it but there are no buttons at all displayed, no Change, no Remove.

If I highlight other programs they all have either one or both of these two buttons, so Add and Remove Programs is working ok.

I also know it is ok because a friend suggested that my copy of Elements had probably been superceded by another application so removing the OTHER application would also remove Elements. I had no idea which programs might be linked in this way to Elements so guessed it would have to be Adobe stuff. I therefore used Add and Remove to remove Acrobat Reader 7 which is the only other Adobe prgram I have. There was remove button on Reader 7 and it did work, but it did not also remove Elements.

How can I get rid of Elements, please?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Go to Start> All Programs > and select Adobe (there may be a separate entry for Elements) when you find Elements, right click >Properties> Find Target > in the file that opens, look for a file that says Uninstall and double click on it. This should activate the uninstall sequence,

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Do this.
    Using Winzip or similar open the exe file you downloaded from Adobe. You must use winzip or similar. This will not work with XP's default zip manager.
    Ok so you have downloaded Winzip. Run it. Open the element's exe file. Uncomress all the files into a temp folder.
    You should see a new icon on the desktop.
    Click it and you should be presented with the option to repair or uninstall
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Default Getting rid of Adobe Elements 3.0

Hi,

I've just used Winzip 8.1 to try and get rid of Photoshop Elements 3.0.exe but failed. Using Winzip's 'Open' got me the message:
    Winzip cannot open this file. It does not appear to be a zipfile. if this is a self-extracting file it is either not the standard zip file format or it is corrupt. Would you like to run this executable file? (I clicked No).

It may well be corrupt, with all my ignorant messing about, (!!), but it still runs and tries to load my files every time I put a compact flash card into my PC's card reader. It really infuriating.

Help! Please, of course!

Let see if we can remove it using the HJT program:

Download a self-extracting copy of HijackThis from :-

http://downloads.malwareremoval.com/hijackthis_sfx.exe

save it to your Desktop.

Double-click on the file hijackthis_sfx.exe file, and it will self-extract into its own folder,

C:\Program Files\HijackThis

Go to this folder and run the hijackthis.exe file

BG

RISCOS,

You can have a look at the following link--though not a perfect match, some of it may be applicable:

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/331405.html

- Uncle D

Default Killing Adobe Elements 3.0

Thanks very much to basementgeek and uncled for offering suggestions, most kind of you.

Uncled:
    Tried the link but after the instructions for changing Windows Explorer's display settings it then said "Run the Photoshop CS2 Uninstaller".

I know you said this was not a perfect match, so the next thing to do is see if I've got Photoshop Elements 3.0 Uninstaller. Nope! Start>Search>All files and folders found nothing at all. Ok, next I tried Google for "Photoshop Elements 3.0 Uninstaller" Only the first item looked any good - "Error: "...failed to start because iaccore.dll was not found" etc. etc. but this just said "uninstall Photoshop Elements 3.0" - I wish!! So I came to a grinding halt.

basementgeek:
    Downloaded and ran HijackThis v1.99.1

On running it, I got the following error message:

An unexpected error has occurred at procedure: modMain_CheckOther1Item()
    Error #5 - Invalid procedure call or argument

Please email me at merijn@spywareinfo.com, reporting the following:
    * What you were trying to fix when the error occurred, if applicable
    * How you can reproduce the error
    * A complete HijackThis scan log, if possible

Windows version: Windows NT 5.01.2600
    MSIE version: 6.0.2900.2180
    HijackThis version: 1.99.1

This message has been copied to your clipboard.
    Click OK to continue the rest of the scan.

It eventually carried on and ran correctly, (as far as I can tell, at least).

I've got the scanlog, but I won't paste it in here!!!

Because HijackThis still appeared to be working ok, I continued with it. It opened a window listing the contents of my harddisc, with boxes to tick for the things I wanted to delete.

Item 023 was listed as Service: Photoshop Elements Device Connect (PhotoshopElementsDeviceConnect) – Unknown owner – C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 3.0\PhotoshopElementsDeviceConnect.exe

So I ticked this one.

Whilst I was at it, I also ticked the following as it also is one I want to get rid of:

Item 023 Service: ptssvc-KODAK – C:\Program Files\KODAK\KODAK Picture Transfer Software\PTsvc.exe

However, when I clicked on “Info on selected item” it said that Services were special programs essentional to the system and required for proper functioning of the system so I then unticked both the Elements and the KODAK items.

I didn't dare delete stuff that it clearly said were special and essential, can I, or not?