Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Photo thumbnails not working

I'm running XP Home Edition. I have lots of folders with JPEG digital photo files stored in My Pictures. I have used the 'Customise' Tab in Properties to set each folder to Photo Album. Until about two weeks ago they all displayed properly as photo thumbnails and I happily switched between Thumbnails and Filmstrip on the View drop-down menu or the Views button.

Now, even though the folders are still Photo Album and I choose Filmstrip or Thumbnails I can only get file icons, so I can't see what the photos are.

I almost always use Serif's PhotoPlus10 to handle photos, so if I click Properties on a photo, the General tab says the files are Serif PhotoPlus Pictures, even though they were saved on my digital camera, and also saved onto the C: drive, as JPEGs. This has always been the case, but it has never stopped the folders displaying the files as thumbnails before.

Interestingly, my wife has just complained that her laptop, running XP Professional, has started with exactly the same problem about a week ago. Her photos are also saved as JPEGs from her camera.

We both have our machines set to automatically download and install Windows updates. Has there been some recent problem that could have caused this? - No, it's not this WMF security hole problem as I have already installed the update/patch and I still have this problem.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

One possibility is, the default has changed for the files. Double click on My Computer>Tools > Folder Options>File Types. Allow this to scan, when done, scroll down to jpeg and highlight. Now click the delete button >click Yes in the next window>OK. Now double click on one of your jpeg files .. a window will open askihng which program you'd like to open the picture with. You can select any graphic program ... now here you have a choice ... if you want to be asked this question every time you click on a jpeg just continue, but if you want to use the program all the time, click the box at the bottom that says always open this type of file with this program (or words to that effect) >OK.

Another possibility is that you have reached the dreaded 400 file default limit to remember file settings. Check this post I did awhile back http://www.help2go.com/postt5987.html .

OK. I see your other post, so do not try these proceedures yet. It would be best to have put all your questions into one thread, that way we can see the whole picture. Go to the other thread http://www.help2go.com/component/opt...topic/t,17623/ and follow instructions there first. I'll lock this thread and only open it if we need to.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

bump

Hi RISCOS - Presumably you've had a look at the link below for anything that might be relevant. My experience with Serif is that generally it is good software but it will insist on assigning their own file extensions. Presumably you have the latest patch? Perhaps a 'System Restore' to before this issue and if the thumbnails are ok then download Windows Updates manually one at a time. Regards.

http://www.serif.com/forum/ViewThrea...&Numb=7#135427
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Default Thumbnails and Serif

Hi Galena1

I hadn't but I have now! I know about using PhotoPlus10's Export Optimiser but I don't think it's that. I realise that I could change JPEGs to open with PP10 but what I want is for JPEGs to open, (as thumbnails) with the normal My Documents>My Pictures folders set to be PhotoAlbums. The file icons I'm currently getting instead of thumbnails are already JPEG icons so I don't need to convert them from SPP files.

Yes I agree. I've got loads of Serif's stuff - it's excellent.

Yes thanks. This was one of the earlier suggestions offered so although I'd already got the latest one I even downloaded and installed it again just to be sure!

Oh dear! This sounds like a long and tedious job :cry:
    Still if all else fails I shall have to do it.

I hadn't originally considered that it might be a fault coming from PP10 because purely by co-incidence my wife's XP Professional Dell laptop started with the same problem and she doesn't have any Serif software, nor any other photo programs, nor has she and I interchanged any files.

As it happens, Serif'f UK headquarters is only about 15 miles from my house so I might contact them to see what they think.

Regards and thanks yet again,.

Default My last reply - missing text

In my last reply I pasted Galena1's text into mine then split it up into sections to reply to. To make it clear which was my text and which was Galena1's that I was replying to, I put left and right angle brackets around Galena1's text. I was very surprised when I viewed my posting to see that doing this caused the angle-bracketed text to be omitted - which causes some of my text to not quite make sense - I hope you can anyway!

So what should I have done when I want to include the original poster's text and indicate which is his and which is mine?

Default Re: My last reply - missing text

Quote Originally Posted by RISCOS
    In my last reply I pasted Galena1's text into mine then split it up into sections to reply to. To make it clear which was my text and which was Galena1's that I was replying to, I put left and right angle brackets around Galena1's text. I was very surprised when I viewed my posting to see that doing this caused the angle-bracketed text to be omitted - which causes some of my text to not quite make sense - I hope you can anyway!

So what should I have done when I want to include the original poster's text and indicate which is his and which is mine?
    Hit the quote button at the top of the individaul post you want to quote. There is also an edit button on your own posts so you can go back and fix them.

Default Re: My last reply - missing text

Quote Originally Posted by Leah
    Quote Originally Posted by RISCOS

Hit the quote button at the top of the individaul post you want to quote. There is also an edit button on your own posts so you can go back and fix them.
    Ah-ha! Now I see them! Why didn't I see them before? Who shall I blame? My optician for selling me useless spectactles or myself for being careless but with the excuse of advancing old age, (I'm 61)?

Thanks for the help.

Wot, anuvver old timer!! :wink: I wish you well with Serif. I have never received a response to any email request for support. Not even to point me in the direction of the Serif Forums where, incidentally, there are some very knowledegable people. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast