Default Problem updating a file to a server from a computer

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine is trying to upload a file to a server. Forgive me for having just a few details but i was hoping you guys could work it out from the little i know about the situation.

She is able to log onto the server, use the upload portal and upload files when she uses any other computer except when she tries using one specific laptop.

The file is an 800kb .doc file containing text, when she clicks on upload she is prompted with "do you want to display secure and unsecure items", if she clicks, yes, no or even closes the dialog box nothing happens.

Assuming she has the neccessary rights to perform this task and she confirms she is able to upload this identical file to the server using other computers she's tried what do you guys think would be the reason she is unable to update from this laptop?

She's running xp and has mcaffee installed (i assume this is a security settings issue but will leave it to your guys good judgement).

Hi Hardeep - I have in the past had to occasionally turn off firewall to download from the Internet. Perhaps your friend should disable Mcafee just for the duration of the upload, assuming it is a trusted site. I suggest you check back for confirmation of this, or otherwise.Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

She assures me the site is safe so i'm sure that wont be a problem. Aside from disabling the windows pop up blocker (and yahoo/google searchbar, if its installed) if she shuts down mcaffee is that the only thing she could try with regards to security?

What i mean is, is there any settings for internet explorer (in tools/advanced for example) that would cause this issue?

Thanks for the help galena.

Hi hardeep - Sorry, I can't answer that one. Check back later for input from others. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Hi guys,

I think there may be one last thing i could try inorder to help this friend upload the file from her computer but i'm kinda stuck and was wondering if anyone could help.

She says she is able to upload files from this same laptop when plugged into her network at work and the problem exists only at home. I assume therefore we can rule out any hardware issues or software configurations on this machine.

I know she uses a linkys wireless router at home but she says she still has this problem when she plugs her laptop straight into her modem.

Does anyone think this could be a port forwarding issue? I think she's using ftp to upload so i assume she would need to enable port 23 (although i read this isnt always the default?, where could i find out what port she needs to upload through?).

She has a Toshiba PCX 1100 modem but i couldnt find any information if it includes routing features which could block specific ports does anyone have any ideas?

Also her cable company (comcast) doesnt have information on their website with regards to port blocking on their internet service does anyone have any info on this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Member Help2Go Moderator

It sounds as though she's just using a form from an internet site since she had to accept the SSL certificate settings or what not. You don't get that with FTP. And incase you do care for later reference the default port for FTP is 21. There is one setting that I can think of in IE that would stop you from uploading via a form and to fix that go into the Internet Options window then clck the security tab. There highlight the "Internet" zone and then click on "custom level". Under teh "Miscellaneous" section make sure that "Submit nonencrypted form data" is set to enabled.

Partieā„¢