Default Partition Table Invalid! and Disk Boot Failure in XP

NEW topic about Partition Problems....

"Something" happened and after a very slow P.O.S.T. I am getting "Partition Table Invalid" and sometimes "Disk Boot Failure, Insert system disk and press Enter" This is XP SP2, 1Gig DDR333, Primary Active C: Part D: 80Gig Fat32, 2nd HDD F: 120Gig Fat 32. (E: WAS another Physical HDD that I removed because it was showing up correctly in BIOS and ControlPanel but NOT at all in MyPC...) This has been the case for a few weeks now and I am exploring "fix" solutions rather than "reformat & reinstall". My Ghost 10 image is locked up in all this, I have no restore points, failed to make a Ghost restore disk, as if it would work in this situation.... I am not sure that MBR and Partition information are saved as part of a Ghost backup....I'll ask Rad.... and once when I got a choice screen, Last Known Good did not work. I have done a Repair XP Install, loaded Defaults in BIOS, HDD's show up correctly in BIOS, done a Parallel XP Install, boot.ini is correct, Restore Console and Boot Reconfig, FixMBR and FixBOOT do not help. Sent the BootMaster log to Mr. Green and he was not optomistic. Seems to me that there is "something" between "Updating DMI Pool Data... and the OS start that is corrupted....like the first sector of the HDD got scrambled somehow.... and if I could "inspect" it and maybe even copy the supposed "2nd Copy" at the end of the sector, provided it is not also corrupted, well, that would be a hoot!

I had considered Partition Magic, but as it starts, it just gives me a perpetual hour-glass... I just ran across the MEPIS 3.3 trick of adding/modifying a partition and am wondering if it will restore/write new MBR and Partition Table that will get me going. I realize that this is not the intention of the "trick" but would like your comments on whether you think it might be worth a try in my case, or hopefully you have a better suggestion? I need to "fix" what I have so R & R is not an option I want to consider! Thanks for any insight you care to offer.

just a long shot. download aefdisk i like it better than fdisk. save to a bootable floppy and type aefdisk /? read the help file it has ez options to write mbrs, save them to a file, sort partition tables etc. not sure if this will solve it but it could help to skip R & R.
    we are created with an equal opportunity to be unequal.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

If you have an XP CD boot up with it. At the menu type R for recovery console.
    At the prompt type fix mbr
    Once fixed reboot.
    Hopefully this will repair the damage.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

just came across this article i think you will find it informative. scroll down just alittle bit you should see Repairing the Windows XP Boot Loader

http://www.petri.co.il/install_windo...windows_xp.htm
    we are created with an equal opportunity to be unequal.