Default DVD/CD not working

I have a Philips DVD+CD-ROM DVD8631 on my Dell computer that isn’t working. I’ve placed several CDs and DVDs in the tray but none work. The tray half ejects on some CDs. I’ve also tried the driver installation disc and that doesn’t work either. Message keeps asking to install disc! Grrrrrrr. Ran AVG software and have zone alarm. Help! Please.

Hi Vambo - Generally a troublesome piece of equipment. You can go to the link below for possible updates/drivers. You need to enter model details to access the correct ones. How old, and what model, is this equipment?
    This is typical of some of the feedback on the Internet, posted to express disatisfaction with this drive fitted into Dell equipment. This poster had nothing but problems with this drive and, from his own and others experience, recommended others to contact Dell requesting an alternative....."And don't take no for an answer, let them know you want the NEC-3450A
    (It's the Dell OEM of the NEC-3500)."

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?
    c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
    Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Thanks galena1. Downloaded updates that did sweet fa. My brother told me to avoid any philips products because the're kak. On Monday I'll call suppport and demand the model you mention seeing as my garentee runs out next month and this is the second faulty DVD/CD player that they've sent me...ho hum
    :roll:

Dell are absolutley refusing to give me any replacement apart from another philips.I'm gonna start a new theard on dell soon and tell all about what was said :?

Hi Vambo - Name and shame 'em. It a disgrace the way some companies treat their customers. Dell would do their customers, and themselves, a big favour by 'biting the bullet' and taking a more responsible attitude.
    They've probably got thousands of the Philips units. If I were Dell my response would be to bounce the problem right back to Philips. It's amazing how shabbily a company will treat an individual customer but tolerate the supply of questionable goods from a manufacturer that must receive many thousands of pounds in payment for those goods. When I was self-employed faulty goods were replaced, very often with a different brand, and my suppliers took all responsibility for sorting out the issues with the manufacturer. Assuming you end up with a Philips replacement are Dell prepared to give you a full warranty on the new unit? Or will it expire next month? I don't know Dells policy on replacement parts. It may be worth, at the very least, pushing for the full 12? month guarantee.
    I hope you achieve a satisfactory solution. Keep us posted. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Suprise suprise....Dell said they were gonna send an NEC replacement....you guessed it, they sent another philips!!!!! :evil
    I'm gonna put a thread up soon called 'So you wanna buy a Dell....are you nutz? :lol:

Hi vambo - How much guarantee, if any, are Dell giving with this new drive? Regards.

Oh dear oh dear. This philips drive has a 90 day warranty because it's refubished! It's not even bloody new! The terms and condition contract state 'Dell manufactures and repairs using components, which are new or equivalent to new'. :roll:

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Bite the bullet and buy one yourself. You will just end up a wreck trying to fight Dell.
    I have to agree with the Philips thing. Every Philips product I have ever bought has had faults. Was a different story when they made their own components.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.