Member Help2Go Moderator

Default INTEL D945PSN Mother Board problems

Hey guys/gals I have a new motherboard (Intel D945PSN) and trying to get it to work with a Promise Ultra100TX2 IDE card. For some reason, when i have the ultra card plugged into the motherboard it won't let me enter BIOS, nor will it complete boot. It gets stuck on the screen displaying the information for the card (which I assume is right after post). THe only thing that happens is that I get the BIOS information for the Ultra Card displayed on screen (basically it shows the card name and model) then i get "detecting |" where the | turns into like a star thing to show progress of it detecting hardware that's plugged into the card i suppose. then nothing happens. No matter how long I wait it just stays there. I was wondering if anyone ever had any problems like this before and what I could do to make it work. THe card worked on another motherboard but it just won't seem to load on here.

THanks,

Partie™

The sky is falling !!, Partie has a problem he can't fix.

I did read that if the HD was bigger than 160 gig may need a BIOS update. Maybe go into the BIOS and change the boot order to see if the CD/DVD drives are causing a problem.

Basically I have NO CLUE

BG

Member Help2Go Moderator

Sorry, I guess I should've told you what was plugged into the card and board. The board has 1 IDE connector which has the hard drive hooked up to it and a zip drive (hdd = master, zip=slave). The card has 2 IDE connectors, Primary has 1 burner (master) and 1 56x cdrom (slave) the secondary channel has 1 DVD Rom (master), and nothing else hooked to it.

THe hard drive is being detected no problems. The problem that I'm having is that it's not getting anywhere past the part where it detects drives from the IDE add-on card. Also, the 160GB limit is for older boards, this was manufactured rather recently but thanks for the help either way. I'm just racking my brains on this and I don't think I can tolerate any more problems.

Partie™

Member Help2Go Moderator

So somehow i got it to work (sort of). I moved it to a different PCI slot so the motherboard would hopefully give it a different IRQ. I also removed every single other card out of it leaving only the IDE add-on card and the PCI Express Video card. It still won't work with ALL drives plugged into it but it will work with at least 1 so I can get XP installed on it.

Partie™

I use IDE cards in some of my computers. The first time I booted, I had to hit f3 (I think), to enter set up. It thought I was setting up a RAID, but I wasn't, but it wouldn't go past it until I hit the key. Also, check the mobo manual to see what pci slots share resourses, you might be able to juggle the plcement of cards so that the cards that are in shared slots will rarely be used at the same time. Charlie

Member Help2Go Moderator

Thanks for the info Charlie. I actually have tried switching the card to different slots hoping that the assigned IRQ for that slot would be different but it doesn't seem to be much help (especially when you don't have that long of IDE cables so i only tried 2 different slots). I'm not yet sure which IRQ/resources the board automatically assigns for the different PCI slots since there was no actual manual that came with the board. I just got off of work so I'll see if I can't get one from Intels website. Thanks again for the info charlie and i'll post results later today!

Partie™

My motherboard shared the top PCI slot with the AGP card and PCI slots 4 and 5 shared. I ended up leaving 1 empty and putting a wireless card and a TV Tuner card in 4 and 5 (I figured I rarely watch TV and surf the net at the same time). Charlie