Default Spilled soda on Keyboard...wont work

I had recently spilled soda on my laptop keyboard and now, they wont work right.. and when it does.. the buttons i push put up characters that i didnt even want up there.. for example: i push A and I got ZBB.

I am on my desktop right now.. desperatley seeking advice on what to do or who I can take it to to get it repaired.

Default Slopped up keyboard

It has been my experience that whatever you do to that keyboard , It will not help , other than taking it apart and cleaning it piece by piece, The labor will cost you an arm and a leg, Ask around your friends to see if they have an extra one , If money is tight check your pawn shops, The best thing is to get a new one they ain't that expensive.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Unfortunatly rickeyjay, we're talking laptop here. Make sure the laptop is turned off and disconnected from power. If you can, take a picture of the keyboard .. if not, write down the position of each key. You should be able to pry each key up and off .. be gentle. After removing keys, soak them in a warm water and very mild soap solution. As far as the inside, get a bunch of cotton swabs and wipe around the key pad with same solution .. don't get too much solution in there. It may be advisable to have a can of compressed air (buy from local computer store) on hand and dry/blow any solution/dirt out.

Member Help2Go Moderator

Everytime I work on a keyboard for a laptop or a desktop that has had something spilled on it. I take all the keyboard keys off. Soak them in water and a small amount of soap solution as Canuck suggests. With the keyboard in itself I spray on what's called a contact parts cleaner. See, the problem you might start having later is that your electrical components will start oxydizing (sp?). It'll almost look like corroded batteries that are left in a toy for a long time and then all that green junk builds up. THe contact parts cleaner is non-conductive, meaning it wont short anything. It's a great thing to keep around in situtations like this and it only costs around $12 USD. Laptop keyboards really aren't that hard to take off, in most cases it's usually uncscrewing 5 screws on the bottom of the laptop, popping off the bezzel that has your power button and the led indicator lights and there you have it.

Partieā„¢