Default Card Reader Problem

My card readers on the computer have stopped working/responding when I insert my CF card from my camera. I still can download from the camera using it's software (HP 618). But I would like to get this function working properly again (card readers).

I am certain I have screwed up a software setting along the way somewhere, because this began after I ripped some music from one of my CDs to burn a mixed CD.

When I go to devices and go to properties it tells me that all the readers (ea)4 are working. I am not certain which generic USB reader device is the one for the CF reader, they are labeled removable disks (f)(g)(h)(i).

I have tried un-installing and re-installing the driver as per troubleshooting procedure and the only difference I have noticed is that a "safely Remove Hardware" icon has appeared on my taskbar(lower right). I cannot remember if that icon was there when things were working correctly. When I click on this icon the item in the box is USB mass storage device, I am not sure if this is my problem or not.

I have gone into properties/auto play of each of the readers and each shows Content Types as Music Files. I have tried changing that to Picture and selected action as copy pictures from scanner or camera wizard, but this doesn't seem to work. I am not sure which disks I should try changing (f)(g)(h)or(i).

Anyway I am stumped! I know this is probably a simple fix but I can't figure it out.

My system is a Compaq Presario SR1500NX AMD Sempron processor with a CD-RW/DVD-ROM

Any and all info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

To check which drive needs changing, you should be able to put a card in the reader >double click on My Computer> and look at the drives .. it should show a drive with the disk in, now try Properties and settings as you did before.

If you are using XP, the USB card reader does not require any driver/programs to run.

BG

I am running XP, I have tried inserting a CF card and watching which which drive shows a disk...no joy!

OK, I have got the removable drive to work, but I cannot get it to work in auto play mode, I have to click on the drive (G). I have tried to set it up to read the card automatically each time but it won't.

I have the Safely Remove Hardware Icon in my tray, without anything being media card being plugged in. I have gone to Windows Explore to ensure that the drives were not engaged and they were not.

Anything else I should be looking at?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Try disconnecting the reader USB from your PC. Reboot PC and check if the driver is listed in My Computer (one of the letters hopefully will be missing). Shutdown and reconnect USB .. does the drive letter reappear?
    This should hopefully let us know which drive it's functioning on. Go to the Manufacturer's site and see if they have an updated driver foe the reader .. if so, download and install.