Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WinXP Sound Controls Display Box..disappeared :(

First off, Im new here so let me say hello

Now on to my probelm...
    I have a new Dell Inspirion 6000 with WIN XP. I have volume controls on the actual laptop itself.

Last night, when I was using the controls, the Display Box (for the volume control when hitting LOW or HIGH volume buttons) would pop up as usual when using the volume keys. And now it doesnt.

As far as spyware, I have SpySweeper (the newest version). I wasnt downloading anything, I wasnt messing with settings (that i know of) except for the Hibernation settings in Control Panel (under the Screensaver Tab)

If theres any info that you want/need to know that I havent provided, just ask away

Thanks in advance!!
    ~Baba~

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi Babagirls and welcome. We've had a number of similar questions. Probably the easiest fix is to do a System Restore to a point before this happened. You didn't by any chance go into msconfig > startup > and uncheck a Dell startup file? If so, go back and select it again. Every maker of laptops has a different way of setting their options up. Since your laptop is new, call their help line and put the question to them if the above doesn't work. Please get back and keep us updated.

thanks for the warm welcome

how can i go back to my settings, the way they were as of 5pm yesterday??

To do a System Restore, go to Start> Help & Support > Undo changes to your Computer with System Restore > Restore Computer to an earlier time > Next > select a date in BOLD > Next > follow the instructions .. you're computer will reboot after you have accepted the change (you can always reverse this if need be, so don't worry). Keep us posted.

thank you sooooo much!!!
    problem fixed!!! and all is well now lol

wow, i wasted 4 hours today just trying to fix something that could have been done in 10 mins...DOH!!

im new to System Restore (which a miracle worker!!!). Never used it before today. was easy as pie and it worked!

Thanks so much!!
    *MUAH*

Thank you for letting us know your problem has been resolved.
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Will doing a System Restore delete every single thing you've put on your computer like new softwares and Word Files and other things? My sister's computer has lost sound. Everything else is working except for the sound.

Before doing a System Restore (and no it won't erase any programs ) try updating the driver for her sound card. Go to manufacturers site not MS updates for 3rd party drivers. If you can give us the make and model of the PC we'll see if we can find it for you if you're not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck
    Before doing a System Restore (and no it won't erase any programs ) try updating the driver for her sound card. Go to manufacturers site not MS updates for 3rd party drivers. If you can give us the make and model of the PC we'll see if we can find it for you if you're not sure.
    Hi Canuck. Thanks for answering my question. All I know is that her computer is a Dell. I will be sure to follow your instructions and do that when I go to her house. There's no telling when that'll be. But, I am educating myself on how to do that, so the next time I go, I will know what to do. I'm just happy to know that I won't be erasing anything. You know in the obsolete computers like my Compaq I had, it would erase the entire computer and look the same way when I first bought it.

Hi LadyDi, Since the PC is a Dell, you'll need to go to the Dell site, look up the model of the PC and see if there are any updates for it. Download and reboot. Keep us posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast