Default Help!!! How do i run multiple Operating Systems?

I am runing windows xp pro. i would like to run an other Operating System windows 98. I'll like to know what is a good program for this?

Member Help2Go Moderator

Check out this little how-to on another site...

http://www.petri.co.il/install_windo...windows_xp.htm

Partieā„¢

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Before you do this and potentially create problems why do you?
    If it is for playing older games, and there is no other valid reason for winXP/98 dual boot, have you tried using XPs emulation modes.
    Right click on any exe file you are having problems with and chhose Properties then under Compatabilty choose which OS you want to emulate for that particular applcation.
    In most cases this will allow older Win98 programs work.
    Creating a dual boot system when XP is already installed may require losing everything. See http://support.microsoft.com/default...306559&sd=tech
    for a list of circumstances.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

The reason is so that i can play older games. I want to install cammand & conquer tiberian sun.

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here's a good tutorial on how to run the Command and Conquer series of games on XP:
    http://www.planetcnc.com/features/te.../classicsInXP/
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go

Osc. I have been to that site and done what it told me to do. For some reason it still wont let me install.

HI

What you want to do is by no means an easy task... installing win98 after XP WILL break the XP install, which you will then have to repair...

Win98 must be installed on a FAT formatted file system, XP can be installed on FAT or NTFS ... as the majority of XP installations are on NTFS drives\partitions, you will need a new drive\partition to install win98...

XP can read data stored on an NTFS partition or a FAT partition, but win98 can only see data on a FAT partition, therefore win98 will not see anything on your XP partition, neither the OS or any data\games.

I would advise you to do a lot of "googling" and see for yourself what is involved before you attempt to try this.

steam
    Look here for Ways to keep your computer safe
    M'SOFT MVP -Windows Security 2004/8 .member ASAP -

If your BIOS gives you the option to boot from different hard drives, here is another option. Get a second hard drive, for 98 a 10 to 20gb hard drive is plenty (you could get by with 8 ). To install 98, first disconnect the drive with XP on it, 98 needs to think it is the only OS. Put the new drive in as master for now and install 98 along with drivers for motherboard and such. When done, set the new drive as slave and reconnect the original drive as master on the same cable. It will boot from the XP drive unless you chage the BIOS to boot from the other hard drive, then it will boot from the 98 drive. Charlie

Thanks for all the help. I was thinking about geting a 2nd hard drive and doing that but i have a slave hard drive for all my files and i would have to buy a pci card so that i can do that.. That is way to much just to play a game. Well some how i got the game to work i downloaded a copy and mixed the files around with the ones that did install on my computer.