Default connected to internet but no internet programs working

Hi there, I'm e-mailing this from my laptop computer but the query concerns my desktop computer. I have just upgraded its operating system to Windows 2000 SP4 from a clean install on a new 20gb hard disk. Its an old machine but still very serviceable PII 266mhz 288mb RAM. I installed my anti-virus program and then installed the ADSL modem and then tried to connect to the internet. It worked for a short while and then with a flurry of viral activity it stopped. I have managed to remove the virus/spyware responsible and reinstalled the modem. The modem connects to the internet (I've run a ping test) but none of the applications I've tried, IE 5, Firefox 1.5, Outlook express or my virus program, Bullguard, can access anything so the connection is up but nothing can access the internet, does that make sense? I've run spybot, ADAware Hijack this and cleared lots of problems and the virus check shows clear. The modem is a Sagem F@st 800 and it installs as by the book. Can anyone help?

Try this fix:

http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Int...th_LSPFix.html

If that does not work and since this is new install of 2000, may want to consider just starting all over again with a clean install of your operating system.

The only way you can have been infected with walmare so early on was because you did not install an A/V and firewall first to protect you.

BG

Default Reinstalled windows 2000

Hi there,
    I reinstalled Windows 2000 and then set about protecting things fully before connecting to the internet. Installed Bullguard and then ADAware, SpyBOT and Hijack this. I think at this point I made a mistake. I Installed Bullguard fully once as administrator but then on entering again as a seperate identity I had to reconnect it to its online servers again and I think something found a way in at that point. Spybot acted weirdly and slowed to a looping download while trying to update and the updates for other programmes (I downloaded IE6 very slowly) stuttered. I then had several messages about Sticky Keys which I cancelled, which may have been a mistake? After re-booting the old problem recurred and while internet connects the browsers etc are now locked out again. I hadn't re-nstalled any real data or big apps so I guess I could re-install windows again but is there anything else I could do that would be useful? Many thanks for help.
    Nollaig

nollaig,

When you say these programs can't access the Internet, what specific symptoms do you see?

If you goto a DOS prompt and type "ping www.yahoo.com", what happens?

- Uncle D