Default deleting services?

I want to delete this service:

If you check your Windows services or your latest HijackThis log, you may find a new entry: the Install Driver Table Manager. We've gotten a lot of requests recently asking what this is, so we decided to poke around and find out.

It appears that this file originated from the InstallShield line of application installers. It is supposed to only be used when installing a new program on your system (like when you run the setup.exe program). However, Apple's iTunes 5 added this entry into the Windows services, and it doesn't even seem to be necessary!

It's important to note that this program is not spyware. However, you can set it to "Manual" so that it does not start up automatically when your computer starts. To do so:

- Right-click on My Computer and choose Manage.
    - Then expand the Services and Applications section and click on Services.
    - On the right-side of the screen, find the entry for InstallDriver Table Manager and double-click on it.
    - Change the Startup Type: to Manual.
    - Hit the OK button and close the Computer Management screen, and you're all done.

You can run iTunes normally after doing this step. iTunes doesn't seem to access this service at all, so it may just have been sloppy programming on Apple's part (they don't always do well when porting their Mac applications like iTunes to Windows).

Is this possible?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Follow osc's instructions, but instead of making it Manual, select Disable. Make a note of this change, should you require this service down the road you can go back and activate it again.

I already did that but is there a way to totally erase it off the "service" screen or is it now forever stuck there??

(I know its a little anal of me , but I hit random junk like that - if I can't get rid of it its no big deal)

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It is possible, by unregistering the service, but I really don't recommend it. You never know if iTunes will need it in the future.

Uninstalling iTunes, should (in theory) get rid of it altogether.
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go

I actually uninstalled Itunes and even got rid of it on the registry - but this item in my service list still exists. So many items like that - for example, in my startup - just never seem to leave the computer even though they are disabled or no longer apply to any programs or software on the computer. Irritating

lilygotsilly,

I agree with Oscar, it's usually not wise to delete a service -- you're better off setting it to Disable.

If you still want to remove it though, a simply way in Windows XP is to use the "sc" command line tool. "sc query" will list all your services. Then it's a matter of typing "sc delete SERVICENAME". Or if you prefer to work in the registry:

* Click Start | Run and type "regedit" in the Open: line. Click OK.

* Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

* Scroll down the left pane, locate the service name, right click it and select Delete.

* Reboot the system.

- Uncle D

thanks