Default Window XP HELP !!!

I have a major problem... I was on my PC and noticed that both CD-ROM were off line... I tried to reinstall driver and that didn't work... So I tried to reinstall Windows Pro XP and do a repair function... The PC booted the CD up and downloaded files to the hard drive... Next the PC reboot, to the hard drive, and was unable to locate the ASM??? file on the CD... I tried both E: and F: and also removed the spare HDD (D and tried the CD on that bus... No joy...

The problem is now when I start my PC up, it wants to continue the start-up, set-up of Windows XP... Tried Safe Mode and it said that was no possible...

How do I break this cycle of start/set-up so I can reuse my PC again ???

JR,

Well I would get a Windows 98 boot floppy disk, and just type "fdisk /mbr" and that should do the trick.

Alternatively, you can boot from the Windows XP CD, press the "R" key in the setup in order to start the restore console. Select your windows XP installation from the list, enter the admin password... Then enter the command: "FIXMBR" (without the quotes) at the prompt and confirm the next question with a "Y" (without the quotes). Use exit to restore the computer.

Have fun..

- Dave

If I use the Window 98 fix, wouldn't fdisk /mbr erase my entire hard drive ???

no it will not erease anything. it purpose is to write a newor fresh bootable master boot record. so don't be afraid go on ahead and use it.
    we are created with an equal opportunity to be unequal.