WPL

Default Chkdsk, disk defrag problems

hey all

i have a 5 month old ibm thinkpad R52 running windows XP, i have spybot SD, spyware guard, blaster, and the factory installed microsoft antispyware on my machine and update these things frequently, and I run maintenance programs periodically as well. i was trying to defrag my C drive (my drive is about 35% full) and got the message "Disk defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume C. please run chkdsk /f". So i run chkdsk /f but it tells me that it cannot run because windows components were running and these files needed to be checked, and it would run when I restarted my computer. I did this and it didnt solve anything. I went to my C drive/properties/tools to run the error checker and got a message saying that windows was unable to complete the check. is there anything I can do to be able to use these disk maintenance tools once again? thank you for any advice you can provide.

regards,
    chris

Hi WPL - Reboot the PC and keep tapping F8 to restart in 'Safe Mode'. Run your defrag etc in Safe Mode.Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

WPL

i tried safemode but got the same error messages. thank you. do you know of anything else i can try?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

You could try repairing any damaged window's files. Start> Run > type in chkdsk /f note the space between the k and /). A window will open and say something along the line that chkdsk will run when next booted. Reboot your PC and let chkdsk do its thing. Hopefully this will sort out your problem.

WPL

it said it would do this but nothing happened after restarting and chkdsk and defrag still wont work... at the top of the DOS prompt it said the drive could not be locked and the type of the file system is NTFS...my computer has been running slowly since this problem occured which was about the last time a windows auto update installed about a week ago. hopefully my drive isnt bad
    thanks again for the help

i think chkdsk is the source of your problem. might you have chkdsk scheduled to run from task scheduler? if so delete it. start->run type
    chkdsk /f /r. choose yes to check during next startup and restart. observe if it will run.

if it does not you have an option to run it and defrag from dos prompt when you start with a boot floppy-just navigate to your system folder and execute. in fact fyi defrag can run from command prompt within wxp.

defrag -f -v
    -f force defrag even if there's not enough free space
    -v if you care for the verbose report

P/S there's a way to manually force xp to run chkdsk @ startup. i don't remember how but if i find out i'll post here.
    we are created with an equal opportunity to be unequal.