Default Strange : What Causes This Wiping of HDD Partitions?

i remember my pc doing this early last year and again recently. after startup i tried to access the other three partitions on the same hdd but they were "locked" (that's what i can think of describing it) and xp would give an error message "Access Denied". the strange thing that happened was after restarting the pc the partitions were now accessible but were all wiped out clean save for c: it was still intact. there's no particularly any one thing i remember doing out of the ordinary and each time i had previously shut down the pc just fine. this 2nd time when i saw this i turned off the power instead of shut down. i was hoping that whatever was locking the partitions will not have to be saved in system settings at shut down. but it didn't help either. so i had to use a data recovery tool (tedious). has anybody exprerienced this and what causes it?
    we are created with an equal opportunity to be unequal.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

It sounds like you have a virus.
    Hard Drives just do not delete them selves not even with a power failure.
    For a HD to be wiped you would notice a long delay in either shutting down or starting up.
    I would try using Startup Control Panel for starters. It's a free application and allows you to see and control what is loading during the bootup sequence.
    Do a google for shutdown problems as well. There are tools to help with that.
    There is also a possibilty that the data is actually being hidden and not erased.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

thanks whooze. i hadn't thought about the virus angle but it makes sense. i have had the Startup Control Panel downloaded. i was using winpatrol but i guess it's time to test drive it.
    we are created with an equal opportunity to be unequal.