Default Floppy Drive not working - replace or get newer technology?

Hi! I have an old Compaq Presario 1245 Notebook and I would like to get it up and running again. I did a system restore and everything seems to be working except for the floppy disk drive. I don't think it has enough memory to install the printer I currently have (it's an hp all in one that I got when I got my Dell desk top) and w/o a disk drive, I can't get any information that I put on it off of it. I looked on HP's site and I could buy a new disk drive, but it would cost $72.00. I don't know if it's worth it because I could buy an external CD-RW drive for $90-ish. Or, I could get one of those new memory sticks b/c I can always print things out on my home computer. I don't know a lot about computers (clearly) so I don't even know if the memory stick is an option on this computer. It has a USB port - is that all I need to use that? I could really use some good advice b/c I don't want to spend a ton of money fixing this computer, I just want to be able to type notes in class. Thanks for your help!

Katie

Umm...well...The internal drive for the above notebook :wink: is priced
    $58-$70 at the link below. Regards.

http://www.dealtime.com/xPO-Compaq_141847_001
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

a usb thumb drive could be a better option for you. prices have come down a lot. it's way convenient than even floppies to store files to and transfer files bet. pc's. if you restored to win95/98 you will need to download usb drivers (just do a google). if you restored to later windows you are all set.

you could also try uninstalling the floppy drive from the devices window, restart and windows will re-install the floppy drive again.
    we are created with an equal opportunity to be unequal.