Default Accessing files from a stolen computer

Is there a program that allows the user to access their files from a stolen computer in order to track that computer? I am not talking about programs like lojack pc. This computer was stolen without any protective software installed.

I guess I am a little confused. Are you asking to access the files, on this PC, but you do not have PC ?

If so, I am sure it is not possible.

BG

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

One of the Universities here in Canada developped some kind of tracing program/hardware not sure which, that can trace the student's laptops (I guess there is major theft on campus). As I understand it, the range is limited to the college and surrounding district, and of course you must be willing to participate in the program. But as Basement says, I don't think there's a way to do what you are looking for .. certainly after the fact. Perhaps one day (if not already) they can incorporate a GPS system in them.

There is a new tecnique called "remote device fingerprinting"

Every computer has a unique electronic signature (as every human has a fingerprint)

In theory any stolen computer could be tracked anywhere in the world if it connects to the internet. The problem of course is you need to have a record of that computers "fingerprint" to start with for this tecnique to be useful.

Other than that and what has already been mentioned, I cannot think of any way a stolen computer could be tracked down afterwards.