Default Audio problem when gaming

Hello,
    I recently purchased a new pc game and after installation, the game seems to boot up extremely slow. After it boots up the audio seems to constantly go in and out in short blips. The game would work fine if it werent for the audio problem. I tried the few things I know such as disk defragmenter and scandisk. I now suspect I may need a new sound card. Are there any other things I can try to get the game working correctly? Any advice is most appreciated. I have a G-force 5200 video card, 512 DDR RAM, and Im not sure of the chip but I know its a decent one.

Thanks

Hi Dahctyre - Go to Start>Run>type in dxdiag and click ok. Under the 'General' tab at the bottom of the list, what version of DirectX do you have installed?
    Then work your way through the other 'Tabs'. You will find various sound and visual tests to run. Run them all, make sure your speakers are turned on. Problems, if any, will be detailed in the small pane at the bottom of the diagnostic pages. Make a note of any error messages.

Then go to the link below and download and run this free program, it will give you your processor details. Have you tried the Gforce site for the latest drivers? What is your operating system? What is the game?

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

It could be as simple as your machine is not powerfull enough to run this game at it's default settings. Which game is it?

Which CPU do you have? How much system memory (RAM) do you have?

Have you tried playing around with the games performance settings?

DOH!! It seems I have multiple problems. I now am unable to connect to the internet via Linksys router. the second computer works (office) through the router so why isnt my personal pc working? I have checked and double checked all connections and tried reconnecting through the software but keep getting a message that the modem is not detected. It is a DSL 56k modem. To answer your q's I have Windows 98, AMD Athalon cpu 1.8 GHz, 512 RAM, and DirectX 9.0c. The game Im trying to play is Stronghold 2.

I also made a huge mistake. When I was freeing up space on my hard drive a mistakenly deleted my sound driver. So now instead of short blps of sound I have no sound at all. I cant download a new driver until internet problem is fixed so this just keeps getting worse. lol maybe I'll just go get my hammer...

any more ideas are appreciated, thanks

Oh- also I am not sure what the difference between Mb and Gb is but I have 3618.3 Mb of free space and the game requires 2.5 Gb

Hi dahctyre - 1Gb = 1000Mb. From your figures you have 3.6Gb of free space. It doesn't seem much 'elbow room' for anything. Refer back to your Belarc report. What size is your Hard Drive? Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Hi - For your game -
    Minimum System Requirements

CPU: 1.4Ghz
    RAM: 256MB
    Graphics: 32MB (GeForce2 MX upwards)
    DirectX: 9.0c
    Disk Space: 2.5GB

Recommended System Requirements

CPU: 2.0Ghz
    RAM: 512MB
    Graphics: 64MB
    DirectX: 9.0c

Cutting it too fine possibly with your processor. Ther's still the hard disc size issue. Regards.

Latest driver at this link.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_81.98.html

Well I couldnt get the Belarc report b/c I am unable to access the internet from that pc for some reason. Never had much luck with computers, in fact if anything can go wrong it definitely will. thinking bout just buying a new one as this one has been very frustrating. thanks for all the advice but until I get the internet fixed i dunnno what to tell ya.