Default Our computer is CRIPPLED by something called cisvc.exe

This cisvc.exe we found it in the "task manager" and it is taking up 50 to 75 % of the "CPU" power. The fans and motors of the machine are whirring loudly to keep up the pace with it. The computer has slowed like molasses, it is basically inoperative. If we "end process" of the cisvc.exe, then everything is fine. But we looked in the interenet and it said that the cisvc.exe is a valuable process and should not be stopped. A dilemma. This has been going on for several days now, we thot maybe it would go away, but no. Your advice much appreciated.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

This is an overrated service in windows. Basically it allows for fast accessing of files, but the downside as you've found out is that when it runs to update the CPU usage goes through the roof.

You need to turn off the indexing service by opening My Computer and right clicking your C:drive >Properties. On the General Tab uncheck 'Allow indexing service etc.' >OK. Another window should open asking if you want to apply this change to just C drive or to C drive and all sub directories and files. Click the radio button for C and subdirectories >OK. It will now go through a process of running through the files and changing their settings .. after that is finished, the index feature should be terminated. If you have another drive, you will probably want to do the same to that.

You can also disable Indexing in Services, but the above method is just as easy.
    Keep us posted.

What a swell guy, I knew you would come to rescue. Listen, is it possible do you think that this program will get to the end of its indexing work and then stop? I am willing to wait if the thing is at least doing something useful (ie creating an index) while it is running. It's been going like this for a few days now, should I wait maybe another day or two to see if it finishes its work?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

One of two things may be happening. First as you mention, it could be running the indexing .. how long I guess would depend on how much data you have on your hard drive and how 'fast' your PC is. The second possibility as I see it it, is that there may be an error and it's 'stuck' . Wait if you want for a few days, if it doesn't improve we'll try disabling it in the Services window. Keep us updated.

Many thanks. Will do as you say.

The cisvc.exe is continueing to run out computer flat out, so will get rid of it following your instructions, that is instructions A, unless B would be better, but not sure what B is, was mentioned only in passing.

This could also be a "Family Keylogger" NO way of telling without see a HJT log.

BG

Hi paulandjean - To stop the indexing service -
    Start>Control Panel>Double click 'Administrative Tools'>Double click 'Component Services'>Double click 'Services (Local) in the right-hand pane> Scroll down to 'Indexing Service'> Click on'Indexing Service' to highlight it and slightly to the left of the list should be 'Stop'. Click on 'Stop' to stop the service. To restart the service it is just a case of returning to the list and clicking (surprisingly!) Start.
    If this doesn't work you can go to the link below and check for other problems that Basement has suggested may be responsible. Regards

http://www.help2go.com/component/opt...wtopic/t,9709/

Canuck - I have added the above instructions for turning off Indexing. Oddly :? , on my PC, following my instructions it shows Indexing stopped but using your instructions the 'Allow' box is checked. Weird.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome