Default USB Hub/Webcam issues

My computer has ONE USB port, so I bought a 4 port Ultra Slim USB Hub.
    I plugged it in and did the set up...plugged my DSL connection into it and everything worked fine. Then yesterday I got a web cam (Creative WebCam Instant) I did the set up for it from the CD and everything installed. When I plugged it into one of the available ports on the USB Hub, my computer restarted and would NOT load windows. This happened several different times.
    So I plugged webcam into USB port on CPU and the thing worked great....however I can't get online and use cam at the same time.

:cry: Suggestions?

HP Pavilion
    lots of space available

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Chances are your hub isn't powered (that is, you need to plug it into a power outlet). A stand alone HUB draws its power from the USB/computer which is minimal at best.

Another question is, is the HUB for USB2 and your PC has the old USB? These should match.

"Another question is, is the HUB for USB2 and your PC has the old USB? These should match."

Hmmm....how do I find the answer to that?

No the Hub isn't powered. I just assumed that if the DSL worked with it, then the webcam would also.

No the Hub isn't powered. I just assumed that if the DSL worked with it, then the webcam would also.
    As Canuck said only USB port provides minimum power. If you exceed this power, things will quit/not working. Probably will need to get a powered hub. The DSL modem is powered and the camera is trying to run just using the power supplied from the USB. If the camera has batteries, are they installed?

BG

Nope no batteries...no place for batteries.

So all I need to do is purchase a new USB Hub (powered) right? Will I need any other information besides Win 98SE in order to get one that works on my computer? :?:

Oh yeah...how can I tell if I have USB 1 or USB 2?

I got this machine in 2000. If that helps.

It will be USB 1. Most USB 2 devices should work with USB 1, but at a very decreased speed. Your USB camera could be just designed to work with USB 2 only.

Lets face it are using pretty old technology trying to run "todays" accessories, it may never work.

BG

:roll: Thanks for pointing that out.