Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default what is taking up so much space on my c drive?

i got a message that my c drive is almost full. ?? i did a disk clean, but it only freed up a small bit of space. how can i find what is taking up all the room so i can get rid of (or move) it? i appreciate your help. thanks, boyd. PS: so you will know, i cleared my temp files, went to tools, options, delete files (including off-line).

Try rebooting in the safe mode and doing the defrag scan.

How big is the HD and how much space available do you have ? How much RAM ? OP system is ?

BG

Default hey, bg!

i have xp home. the c drive is 13.9 gigs. memory is 256. it's a laptop. i was able to free up around 750mb, but that's nothing. somewhere in there is something huge. thanks for helping me. boyd

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Download this small program I.Disk from http://www.memecode.com/ . After you've opened the program, click on the C drive and wait a moment .. it will do a search and show you what programs are loaded and how much space they're taking.

Nifty little program. Thanks for the link. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Default hey, canuck!

thanks for taking the time to reply. i opened the meme page, but couldn't figure out what to do from there. which file do i open? thanks, boyd.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Click on C: then click on the + at the beginning of each line .. you'll see which programs are taking up the space.

Default sory i seem like a dummy.

but i opened the meme page and don't know what to d/l. thanks, boyd.

Hi boyd - Click on 'C' in the left hand pane. Information is displayed in the right hand pane. You may have to wait, depending on the speed of your system, for all the information to appear. If you click on each + in turn a bar appears to the right of eack listing relating to the amount of usage. You are looking for the longest red bar(s). It may be more than one program that is using resources. Also 256 RAM is not ideal for XP, 512 would be much better.Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Default ??

hi. when i click on the link to meme this is what i get. where can i find the c drive option you are talking about. thanks, boyd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast