Default Major problem with new pc

First, Hello to all

Guys, Yesterday I connected everything that was needed for my pc to be operational, at least thats what I thought.

I have my cpu with heatsink fan connected, two HDD, one is sata and the other is IDE, vid card, everything. First off, I'm using the HDD thats from my older pc, as a matter of fact, I had to take it back out of my new system and connect again to my old system to post this thread.

The problem is that I can't get the new system to load the OS that is originally installed in the HDD from my old system. When I turn the new system on, it goes to this black screen (3 different screens actually)

The first black screen shows all the drives I have connected and the type of drive of each.

From this screen, I have an option that displays at the very bottom to go into the BIOS by pressing the "del" button. From there I can set Primary, secondary boot drive, the first the second boot drive, I'm sure you know of this section. Anyway, I set the HDD from my old pc as the primary and first boot device because it has the OS installed. After I've done all of that, I press F10 to save BIOS. After that it resets and that it goes through the booting process until I get to the "choose OS" part (It does that on my old pc) After I choose the os, it seems as if it will load, but all the lighst on the keyboard flash in sequence along with other lights, which resemble a restart, but I don't restart the systems, somehow it does it itself. Thats all it does.

I tried just using the new WD HDD, and install a fresh OS on it, but at that first balck screen, it shows, Can't find bootable drive or something like that. It won't allow my to use the F12 button and the beggining so that I could boot from my installation disk thats in my dvd drive.

Can anyone sheds some light on this, I'm very lost :unsure:

Another strange thing is that I have my WD HDD connected to a SATA port, but in the bios and the first black screen, it show that it is IDE 0 master and the older HDD is IDE 1 master :shrug:

Member Help2Go Moderator

Unfortunately, sometimes it will work sometimes it wont when you take a hard drive from another machine and expect it to load windows. Reason why you're probably having troubles with it loading windows is because the motherboard drivers for your new machine aren't installed for windows to use so it's turning itself off. The reason why your SATA drive is not found as a boot device is because you don't have the RAID/SCSI drivers installed during windows setup. WHen you put in the windows XP Cd to run install, right after it says Setup is detecting current hardware configuration... you should see the screen turn blue with white text and at the very bottom it should say "Press F6 to install 3rd party scsi/raid drivers" you need to push F6 and insert the floppy that came with your SATA drive. ONce you do that you should be able to install to your sata drive.

Partieā„¢

It might start in safe mode. Try tapping f8 during start up and pick start in safe mode. If it does start, you will then need to load all of the drivers for the new motherboard. Charlie

I managed to install an os on the new WD HDD, so thats a relief. I tried to create a partion large enough for my OS (1500MB) but after installation, it was just the partion that I created for the os and thats all. What did I do wrong in that regard.

I can't connect to the internet on the new system. I'm showing the network card and stuff but I still can't connect to the internet

Also, it still shows that the WD HDD is IDE 0 Master instead of SATA controller

During the OS installation it asked if I wanted to install third party drivers, When it got to the part of installing the drivers, It asked to insert the floppy disk with the drivers on it into floppy drive A. Well I don't have a floppy drive and I didn't receive a floppy disc with my mobo; it was a CD.

What do I need to do in order for my SATA drives to be seen as SATA devices.

Last thing, now that I'm able to install a OS on the WD HDD, What do I have to do to get my older IDE drive to run the os and the newer WD HDD for storage only?

There's lots of files on the older drive that I need.

I found out that the raid driver and sata drivers absolutely needs to be install by floppy and before the os is install.
    The Floppy drive that I had in my old PC isn't working; I have to purchase a new one.

Originally I Had no plans on installing a floppy drive. Sents I'm force to, I have no choice.

Will this drive work:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3942772

You can get a standard floppy drive without the card reader for under $10. Charlie