Default can't upgrade from IE 5.5 to IE 6

I am running a Dell Dimension with Win ME and can't do an upgrade from version 5.5 to 6. Help please.

Hi larry - Have you tried to download it from the link below? If you have and are experiencing problems it may help to disable your firewall just for the duration of the download. Regards

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Default still can't laod IE6

I tried the link and it gave me the same message "can't install all items etc". I downloaded IE 6 to a CD and tried to load it the same way and still no go (with no firewall or antivirus turned on). Can I uninstall IE 5.5 and then go straight to IE6? The only problem is I can't find IE 5.5 in Control Panel Add/Remove programs.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

You ready for this:
    Open Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer but Windows Explorer as in
    the file management program).
    From there go to C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/Uninstall Information. Right click on the Uninstall Information folder and select Properties. Uncheck the Hidden box and then click OK orApply.
    A confirmation screen will come up.
    Select the Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files button.
    This will unhide all of the files in the Uninstall Information folder.
    You then need to move (not delete) all of these files to another folder that is empty.
    Any one will do or make a new temporary folder. It doesn't really matter just as long as the Uninstall Information folder is empty. Reboot your computer.
    After rebooting double check and make sure that the Uninstall Information
    folder is empty.
    You should then be able to install all of the troublesome components (hopefully).
    If everything goes well you can then move all of those files that you moved previously back into the Uninstall Information.

What had happen is the attempts to install IE6 created part uninstall files which prevented the reinstalling.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.