Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks so much for the detailed plan of action. I did not get a chance to work on the system last night, but I am still hopeful that I will be able to use one of the keystroke combinations while in safe mode to open something on the system (like the control panel or explorer) so that I can do these steps. I plan to work on it over the weekend and will post progress and questions as appropriate.

Thanks again.

-Carolyn

PS: All the security advice in the world and a wall sized sign would probably still not stop the biggest security hole I have at home - a 15 year old with an addiction to AIM. ;-)
    Carolyn

Member Help2Go Moderator

It seems as though Whoozhe is giving you instructions for a Windows NT based version of WIndows (2000, XP, 2003) when you said you were runing Windows 98. You don't have the same user accounts abailities as does NT based Windows Versions.

When the computer boots where you at least have the mouse and the wallpaper do a 3 finger salute (ctrl + alt + delete) it said you had some stuff listed in the Task Manager, there shouldn't actually be anything listed except for Systray and Explorer, so that means you want to end task on everything listed besides those 2 and if they are NOT listed, just end task on everything, it seems like the other items had a higher startup priority than explorer/systray. Before ending task on them it's a good idea to take note of what the process names are that you are going to end task on so we can hopefully find them later and delete them.

Also, have you taken the advice that basementgeek left about doing a scanreg /restore option? To do this, boot into a command prompt only by pressing F8 on the keyboard before you see the windows boot logo (or start pressing it right after BIOS POST). Once in the boot options menu select Command Prompt Only and hit enter. At the command prompt type "scanreg /restore" (no quotes and noting the spaces). After typing the command press enter. Hopefully that will get you back to at least a desktop.

Partieā„¢

Partie,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this. I have another system I am also working on fixing.

When I look at the task manager it does not show any applications running. One other characteristic that I note is that it appears that whatever has control of my system disables the keyboard except for the Ctrl-Alt-Del combination. Scroll, caps, and num lock keys do not work except when I have the task manager dialog displayed.

I had run just a scanreg earlier and it said the registry was fine. When I ran it with the /restore option it displayed 5 .cab files for restore. I tried the oldest 2 and both times it displayed that it was backing up settings and then I get the message that the restore failed.

Ready to try the next thing when you are....

Thanks,
    Carolyn
    Carolyn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12