Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default No windows icons or start button after virus attack

My daughter clicked on a link that came through an email sent from another virus. The system started acting up, we rebooted and now when it starts up it gets to the windows desktop but none of the program icons are present and the start button tray will not display. All we see is the wallpaper and the mouse cursor.

I have another system that can get to the internet if I need to download some things.

Where do I start on this one?

Thanks,
    Carolyn
    Carolyn

Are you saving that the PC has no internet access any more ?

Have you tried booting in DOS and scanreg command ?

BG

Right, I cannot get to internet on that system. Once I reboot and come up in windows, then all I can do is Ctrl-Alt-Del to get the task manager. There are a few background programs running but no desktop icons and I cannot get to the Start button. All I can do at that point is to shut down.

It acts the same if I come up in safe mode too.

I went ahead and rebooted to the dos promt. Scanreg says my registry is fine.

Thanks for the help. What next?

-Carolyn
    Carolyn

Are you still having problems ? If so let us know.

BG

Thanks for checking. Yes, I am still having trouble.

If it would help I could do the "confirm each step" boot this evening and list all the things it brings up.

I am a computer programmer and so am comfortable trying different things, but I am also just used to turning on the system and having it work :-).

This system is essentially a door stop at this point but I hate giving in to a virus and simply reloading the OS (I'm not even sure if I have a current copy of Win 98 any more since this system already had it on it).

Is there a key combination I could use to bring up Windows Explorer? The keyboard on this system does not have the little "windows" key so I can't use Windows-e combo to get that.

Thanks for the offer for help!

-Carolyn
    Carolyn

I think the best thing I can do is move to General PC help forum. Maybe Partie ™ or somebody else will see it and be able to help you.

Even though it may have been caused by a virus, as you know you are dead in the water without Icons/start/etc.

BG

Ok. Do I need to repost there or can you administratively move it to that forum?

Thanks,
    Carolyn
    Carolyn

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Here are some keyboard short cuts you can try
    General folder/shortcut control
    • F4: Selects the Go To A Different Folder box and moves down the entries in the box (if the toolbar is active in Windows Explorer)
    • F5: Refreshes the current window.
    • F6: Moves among panes in Windows Explorer
    • CTRL+G: Opens the Go To Folder tool (in Windows 95 Windows Explorer only)
    • CTRL+Z: Undo the last command
    • CTRL+A: Select all the items in the current window
    • BACKSPACE: Switch to the parent folder
    • SHIFT+click+Close button: For folders, close the current folder plus all parent folders

Back to the top

Windows Explorer tree control
    • Numeric Keypad *: Expands everything under the current selection
    • Numeric Keypad +: Expands the current selection
    • Numeric Keypad -: Collapses the current selection.
    • RIGHT ARROW: Expands the current selection if it is not expanded, otherwise goes to the first child
    • LEFT ARROW: Collapses the current selection if it is expanded, otherwise goes to the parent
    For more go to http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q126449 . Hope it works for you.

Thanks for the suggestions. While it looks like those would only work if I had explorer open (which I can't find a way to open), the link did provide some keyboard options that might work. I'll try again this evening.

-Carolyn
    Carolyn

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The virus probably destroyed the user account. Assume it has affected all accounts, particularly those that are not passworded correctly of have weak passwords (Weak passwords is any word that can be found in a dictionary, a place or person name or date. I could crack any of those in under a minute)
    I would not advise using restore at this point as the virus/trojan may be lurking in a restore point.
    This, unfortunately, leaves you with little choice than to rebuild the user account.
    I suggest you boot up in safe mode, log on as administrator.
    Through the Control Panel/Users delete all users except Administrator.
    Password the Admin account with a strong password. I suggest the use of a good password manager so you will only need to remember one main password.
    Recreate new accounts. For the main account create the account as a power user and the remainder restricted.
    Power Users have enough rights to do most functions but not all admin rights.
    I also suggest you increase your virus security. If you are currently using either Microsoft, Norton or McAfee anti virus, well they are not that good.
    Many here use and recommend AVG from www.grisoft.com for home users. It has excellent email protection.
    Also a decent firewall. Zone Alarm will do the job. XP's. If you have a wireless network access the modem and replace the default password and activate any hardware firewall.
    Next is disable your email applications preview and viewing by HTML abilities. Both these allow viruses to sneak in.
    I know rebuilding the user accounts and desktops is a pain but by doing the above you will have done everything possible to prevent a reaccurance. Anything less would compromize your computer.
    Lastly place a BIG sign in front of the computer. NEVER OPEN AN EMAIL ATTACHMENT Unless You Are 110% sure of it's origin.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast