Default Laptop takes long time to load->any suggestions?

Hi guys,

Quick question for you for those who may have experienced the same problem as me. I have a Dell Laptop. I have noticed that sometimes (not all the times) the items on the desktop take a long time to load (like 2 minutes). This is what happens:
    At startup, everything goes smoothly and I am brought to the desktop screen with the Dell background picture. Now, I have full control of the mouse pointer. It isn't stuck. The problem is the desktop screen is completely empty except for the background Dell picture. No start menu, no task bar, no trash can. Blank. Then, after about 2 minutes, all my files and folders, start menu, task bar, etc load up and I can see them.
    This doesn't happen all the time. Its weird. 90% of the time, everything loads up quick.
    So, I was thinking that there is some program that is running at starup at intervals that is maybe doing something which is why sometimes my desktop takes a long time to load. Anyone have any suggestions as to what is happening or how to take care of this?
    Thanks,
    Bob

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

XP and 2 minutes bootup is not unusual.
    It depends on what is loading at startup.
    You can check those by Clicking Start, Run and type msconfig
    Look under startup.
    Go to http://personal-computer-tutor.com/procs.htm and check each one. Uncheck any that are not necessary.
    Also your system may be having a problem with your user account hense no icons.
    Run the normal anti virus, spy and adware scanners.
    If the problem persists do the following.
    Although a pain log on as an admininstrator, do thisd in safe mode and delete your user account. Recreate it then reboot.
    You will have to recreate your desktop but that should fix any problems.
    A suggestion is when creating a user make it a Power User. This allows you to do most things except alter system files. It is a handy bit of protection again attackers.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Default Thanks!

Hey, great website.
    I am going to check those processes, although, it may take me about an hour, but that is fine. I think everyone should do this just so they know what all those processes are doing.
    Thanks again. I will give it a go and post back if it fixed the problem or not.
    Bob

Default Here is one process checker for free

Here is a free process checker that I found. What do you think:

(edit out ) Don't think too much on this program .. as you have found out. It appears to identify good entries as malware. This post is closed.