Default system restarts very often

my system is 6 months old.. it is a branded item from hp.. system configuration is p4, 2.4ghz, 512MBRAM, 80GBHDD,.... it is good to work but often it gets hanged n restarts by itself n the windowsXP says a "a serious error has occured n a log of this error is created"... what is the problem.. should i change the os or something else should be done..plz someone guide me.. n i am grateful to you...
    MITHUN

Default Try this!!!

Go to:

Right clic on My computer>properties>advanced>startup and recovery>settings>system failures.

and then you have to uncheck the automatically restart option.

thanks 4 ur kindly advice.... i have another problem... in my system whenever i start it it asks 4 disk checking... what may be the problem.. plz throw some light on this.. my friend says that diskchecking ll come only when there is a error in the shutdown process...but i get it everytime i start my system.. is there any other problem...
    MITHUN

Before you shut it down next time, click on START, RUN, then type chkdsk /f (note space between k and /) in the box and hit ENTER. It will tell you it can't run and ask if you want to run on restart. Say yes and restart. It will run a disk check. If you get the error message again, it should give you the option to send to Microsoft, send it, then you should get the option to look at possible solutions. Sometimes it will tell you why it happened. Have you added any new hardware or software just before the problem started? Charlie

no i haven added any new hardware... now there is a new problem in my system... when the processes are running my system suddenly shows me a blue screen n tells that "if this is the first time such screen appears then restart the system if this occurs again then check ur hardware os else ur bios update" but there is no new hardware updates n iam getting this msg very often... what should be done....
    MITHUN

Check your drivers, especially the video driver. Try updating them, if no update available, try rolling back to previous driver. Charlie

the blue screen tells "physical memory dump and gives me some drivers no..... is this RAM problem or some thing else...
    MITHUN

Hi mithun - "physical memory dump and gives me some drivers no". Are you saying that the memory dump is telling you that there are drivers missing? Are you getting any other error message with your blue screen? Something like ox00000000, and other stuff? If so what is it?
    If you are having trouble finding the details of your video driver you can download and run the free program at the link below. Your video card details will be listed under the heading 'Display'. Regards.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome